Tips For Having A Great New Semester

Tips For Having A Great New Semester

These are things you can start working on by week 1.

2
Tips For Having A Great New Semester
Linda Nogueras Ortiz

Most students in the US have started classes already and, if you haven't, you'll probably start soon enough. This list of tips is geared towards college students but anybody can benefit from these.

1. Pack a snack or lunch

You may think you have enough time between classes to grab a quick bite, or you already know that you may not have that much time. Packing it up will help you feel full while in an hour-long lecture, but it will also allow you to save some money from either your spare cash or meal plan.

2. Plan your day ahead of time

In terms of academics, this will save you lots of trouble. Personally, I prepare my week every Sunday so I at least know what's due that week and whatnot. On the first day of each month, I gather my syllabus to create a to-do list of important projects I can't miss. Keeping track of your school work will lead to never freak out when a grade is posted.

3. Get to know your professor and vice versa

This one is very stressful for me, but getting my professors to know who I am is something I think is helpful in the long run.

4. Carry a bottle of water

Most campuses have stations where you can refill your bottles, plus it's eco-friendly and helps you remain hydrated during the day.

5. Start using a planner

Whether it's a physical one or a digital one (I have both because I'm an organization freak) use one that you feel comfortable with.

6. Read your syllabus thoroughly

Highlight or copy out (if you have the digital version of your syllabus) important dates, contact information of your professor(s), attendance policies, and keep all this info available for you all the time.

7. Rent your books if possible

Save your wallet the trouble of being empty by the end of your first day, if you can rent your books for cheap do so. Sometimes it might take a few days for them to ship. If you have an assignment soon, you can always talk to your professor, borrow a copy from a classmate, or try your school's library system which might have the books available.

8. Be positive

Yes, dreadful weeks might be on their way, but attitude can really help or destroy your motivation for it. An awful class won't last too long, but a grade will last forever. Do your best work from the beginning!

Do you have any ideas to survive the first day (or the rest of the semester)? Leave a comment below!