Some Fun Facts Out-Of-Staters Wonder About Florida

Have you ever wondered if the myths about Floridians have any truth to them? Well, here is a couple fun facts to clear up some misconceptions and confirm some truths!

10
Photo by Done By Alex on Unsplash

As a Floridian, you hear some pretty crazy assumptions about what it's like to live in the Sunshine State. Now in college, I meet ALOT of out-of-staters. Here are some of the funniest assumptions, I've heard:

We do not go to the beach everyday!

Yeah, that's right, you read that correctly! The beach seems amazing when you come here for spring break, but if you live here, odds are you don't live near a beach because Florida is a HUGE state. If you do live near the beach, it still doesn't matter because most of us have work or school anyways. I know a few people that have lived right next to the beach and haven't actually been there in fifteen years!

We wear winter clothes for temperature dipping below 70 degrees.

We are warm-blooded creatures. We will complain about the utter heat and humidity all summer long. When a Floridian says they'd "love a cold front," it means they'd like a nice fifty degrees for a day or two. And yes, on these days many of us will pull the ski jacket out of the closet. Trust me, after living here a few years you'll no longer be making fun of those people - you'll be joining them.

Florida could easily be divided into two or three or four different states!

Florida is a gigantic state. You have the east coast and the west coast - both house different types of people, different "beaches," and really different lifestyles. In between, you have country rednecks in the middle of the state, and in many places you have cities that you wouldn't believe are in the same state as the beaches. On top of all of that, you have North Florida, the Panhandle, and the Keys! We're really all over the place. We can't all be like Rhode Island and be only 37 miles long.

We do not all live in, around, or near Miami or Orlando!

You hear about Miami and Orlando all the time, but we do not all live there (I know, shocking)! The amount of times I have been asked, "Do you live near Miami or Orlando?" is insane! (I'm personally an hour away from Naples). Cities like these aren't totally representative of our 65,755 square mile colossal state.