5 Lessons I Learned By Traveling Solo

5 Lessons I Learned By Traveling Solo

It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spread your wings and fly.

139
5 Lessons I Learned By Traveling Solo
Avani Yenamandra

When I decided to go on solo traveling adventures, I didn't really understand what I could get out of it. The idea of doing anything on my own or by myself made me nervous and self-conscious because I thought that other people would judge. After doing two trips on my own I realized that there is a lot that I can take away from just being on my own and traveling.

People are kind and thoughtful

When you are traveling by yourself, a common misconception is that there are places that are more dangerous than others. Despite being alone, people reach out and show their kindness in many ways. While traveling, I met several wonderful people who invited me to dinner or hiking. Some just want to have a good conversation and a lot of people look kindly to solo travelers. Meeting these people when I travel helped me see that no matter what origin, creed, or background an individual comes from, we are all one.

There is no timeline to follow

When you only have to worry about yourself, there is very little that you have to really think about in terms of following a schedule. No compromises need to be made and nothing needs to stop you from pursuing what you want to do. This also applies to life itself. There is nothing that should dictate what you need to follow, be it getting married, having the right job, or owning real estate. No one should tell you what you need to do or how to go on living your life.

You like yourself more

Solo traveling allows you to just be in tune with yourself. You learn what you like and what you dislike on a more deeper level. There is less of you having to figure out who you are in relation to other people and more of you figuring out what is actually the real you. You evolve in the process of solo traveling and you push yourself in directions that you didn't know you could be pushed.

You appreciate the adventure of it all

Once you do one solo trip, everything revolves around what your next greatest adventure is. Once you skydive off the Pacific Coast, you wonder if you can climb a mountain. You learn to appreciate the adventure of traveling by immersing yourself in a new experience. You figure out how to go with the flow of things and be open-minded because that leads you to an adventure that you didn't know you had in you.

You start to enjoy the moment

Traveling on your own makes you realize that you have to enjoy the little moments that come. When you are running around for a job or a relationship, you forget to stop and smell the roses. But wandering around a new place unfamiliar to you forces you to stop and take a look around. Even as simple as getting a cup of coffee and watching the locals come through makes you appreciate all the things that life has to offer when you finally open your eyes.

I learned a lot on my recent travels. I became more confident in myself and did things that I otherwise wouldn't have considered. Because of solo traveling, I feel that I am on this path of wanting to see the world no matter what time in my life it is.