Social Media Affecting You Negatively?

Social Media Affecting You Negatively?

Social media is a very CRUCIAL topic that needs to be discussed.

5
Social Media Affecting You Negatively?
Kassie Boles

Social media is a very crucial topic that needs to be discussed. This is something we all have, it's a way we keep up with friends, family, and even enemy's. People reconnect with old friends and even make new ones. It can be a very positive thing, but it can also be very negative.

There are so many sites to choose from, I cannot even count all of the apps I have for social media on my phone. Honestly, I'm the person that will check one app, get off, and two seconds later check it again because I don't want to miss anything and, because I've gotten in the habit of doing it. I've been on dates and checked my phone a few times while in the middle of conversation (not sure if that's because the date was that bad or because I'm that attached). Many family dinners and get-togethers are ruined because we have no idea how to spend time with each other and be "present." How many times have you tried to have a conversation with someone and have had to keep repeating yourself because they were so into how many likes they got on Insta or getting the perfect selfie for that snap?! It's frustrating and down right disrespectful.

Social media is not only something I think some of us would "die" without but it's just inappropriate in more ways than one. Snapchat, for example, was created to be used to send bad pictures and they would "delete" in 10 seconds so no one would know. First of all WRONG those pictures actually NEVER, I repeat NEVER, get deleted. Children have Snapchat now and parents either don't know what's going on or don't care. Don't get me wrong some children can be more responsible than adults but Snapchat is not for kids by any means, sometimes it's not for adults either. Another example is Twitter, many people on twitter that have Facebook will be absolutely, ridiculously, disgusting on Twitter, but on Facebook be the total opposite. Twitter is full of awful images, vulgar language and other things. Facebook is more like a movie... IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DRAMA! I mean really someone always has to voice their opinion on everything. Someone could say the sky's blue and the comments would be never ending. Instagram is a great thing, I love it, I really do. What I don't like however is that girls believe they have to get a certain amount of likes and have to edit their pictures so much. Everyone is beautiful and social media is something that tells people they have to look a certain way.

I'm not against social media by any means but I do believe as parents you have the right and should censor your child's social media and to all of the addicts, we should break that habit. Remember that everything you post can always be found and make smart choices. Social media doesn't give us our value, God does!