Social Experiments Suck

Social Experiments Suck

You should know why social experiments suck.

602
Social Experiments Suck
David Horsey

There is nothing worse than scrolling through my social media feed and finding yet another social experiment video. You might be thinking, "Why? Those videos are made to help the world!" But you are wrong. Social experiment videos are made by jerks, who are trying to show that the world is full of jerks by being jerks to good people.

Let me explain my frustration.

Starting with the social experiment fascination of homeless people. These videos seemed to start of harmless. They were trying to spread awareness of the greed of the public, and the rise of homelessness in America. They showed homeless individuals giving food to other 'homeless' individuals, whereas people walking by did not stop and try to give the man a slice of pizza. In the end the man conducting the experiment always does something nice for the person he is testing, and so these videos seem harmless right? Wrong.

These videos are supposedly trying to spread awareness of the homelessness problem in America, and promote the humanization of the people living on the street. But when you make one of these videos thinking you are doing a good thing, you are actually dehumanizing these people by making them a rat in your greedy little experiment. I am not saying that you should not try to help these individuals, but turn off the damn camera and take the man out for a meal. Spread goodness and kindness in a way that does not gloat your fame all over the internet, because then you are just helping yourself.

And it only gets worse. There was a man on Youtube who decided he was going to to social experiments too. He thought "I am going to contact young girls on the internet, get their parents approval, and then I am going to go Scared Straight on them and fake a kidnapping."

I can't make this stuff up. Coby Persin, a well-known Youtuber made this social experiment plan and parents ACTUALLY WENT ALONG WITH IT!

The dangers of social media is an actual issue that children need to be informed about, but this is absolutely the wrong way to go! Long story short, this young girl gets in a van with the strange guy she met on the internet and her OWN DAMN PARENTS WEARING SKI MASKS GRAB HER AND START SCREAMING.

This girl was doing a very dangerous thing by getting into a stranger's car so I do not want to make light of that, but now she has two parents that she will probably never trust again, not to mention she is probably going to grow up with some serious boyfriend issues!

Then there is the most obvious failure of this experiment. Two fully grown adults were in contact with a complete stranger on the internet, whom they only knew through his Youtube videos, and then they got in the back of this man's van and waited to yell at their daughter for talking to strangers on the internet. It is backwards. Completely backwards. What if this was this man's ploy to get the parents out of the house so that he could really actually get to their daughter? "But we saw his videos! He is a good guy!" But we can't always trust what we see on the internet, right parents? Good grief.

I'm sorry to call out Coby Persin, because he is not the only one who does these horrible videos. There are hundreds of videos of fake kidnappings from Tinder social experiments to children abduction. And all of them are sick. Yes, we should all be wary of the dangers surrounding us in society! The world isn't a safe place, but it doesn't have to be this bad! Each time you pull a girl into your car calling it an experiment is another day she goes without trust of anything. She needs to be on the lookout for these things, yes but she does not need to spend her whole life in fear of someone grabbing her at any moment and that is the hysteria that these social experiment people are creating in our streets.

They have these videos for everything! Boyfriend hitting girlfriend, girlfriend hitting boyfriend, child smoker, homeless child vs. well dressed child, drug her drink, drug his drink, breastfeeding in public, and even blonde vs. brunette on the street. All of them are more trouble than they are worth, and they normally end in a child crying, or them having to explain that it is an experiment so what they are doing is okay.

Yesterday, I saw a larger man in line for fast food. Two skinny women were yelling at him not to eat until someone stepped in and poured water on the girl's head. Good for him, he did the right thing according to the test and to any decent human beings rating scale. Here's the problem.

Some people do not get to hear the explanation of the social experiment. Some people leave before they see the resolution and then they never see the video. Some of these people might start to think that it is okay to treat people poorly because they saw you experimenting and did not get the entire story straight. True, some may change their ways and become glittering individuals, but others might take it a different way.

Others will start to create "social experiments" so that it is okay to prank people on the street. Some people will let them call these acts "pranks." Some of these "pranks" will hurt people or scare people, or they will just take it too far because they wanted to go viral. Some people who are just trying to live normal lives are going to have to go through more hoops because of these dumb videos.

Transgender in a Woman's Bathroom. This video is detrimental for two reasons. The experimenter is NOT transgender, and while he is being helped by his transgender friend, he is still a man entering a woman's bathroom. I am all for transgender rights, and I think that it is stupid that we worry about bathrooms so much, but this experiment is not helping either community. The main concern of the non-transgender community is for the safety of their woman and children. Now they should not be worried about transgender individuals entering their bathroom, because they are just trying to do their business and get out. IF SOMEONE WANTS TO BE A PEEPING TOM IN A BATHROOM THEY WON'T ASK FOR PERMISSION IN THE FIRST PLACE! Sharing a bathroom is not putting any one at anymore risk because a pervert will be a pervert, no matter what sex, gender, race, religion, whatever.

So the issue with this video is that this man is not transgender and so he is basically fighting against the issue of transgender bathroom rights because this is exactly what some people were afraid of in the first place! A random man putting on a wig and entering their public bathrooms. No he did not intend any harm to any one in the bathroom, but he is proving a dumb argument's point correct by passing it off as a social experiment.

Save yourself some time, Youtubers and people of the world because here is the answer. Be a good person, treat people well, and stop flaunting your ability to be a jerk all over the internet. We are sick of it, and it isn't helping anyone. Keep your hands off of men, women and children, and for the love of God just do nice things once in a while. It has a better impact on the person you are helping when it isn't about you. If you turn on the camera to give a homeless man 100 dollars, you are not being a good person, you are just trying to sell something. Well I don't buy it.

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." -Matthew 6:1-4 NIV