#soblessed

#soblessed

The real breakdown of the word blessing.

48
#soblessed

#soblessed

Reading my title you probably thought, “Well yeah. I know” I promise you, you have no idea what the exact meaning of this phrase is. The phrase “I am so blessed.” or “We are so blessed to…(insert blessing)” has been highly undermined and is commonly tossed around. Blessings have turned into excessively extravagant Christmas presents, designer clothes, and brand new cars that completely override the true meaning of what a true blessing really is. We forget the value of our health, of our freedom, and for the love of God the clean drinking water we have everyday; those are true blessings. Instead, come Christmas Morning, our timelines are overwhelmed by the bombardment of pictures that have nothing to do with the real meaning of Christmas. We forget that some were not as fortunate to open gifts. Some did not have a meal to eat on Christmas day. Some were missing a family member they expected to be present for this special holiday, yet all we can focus on is the overflow of stuff on Facebook, Instagram, etc. And let’s be real, we have all seen that picture perfect arrangement of the Michael Kors watch, handbag, and matching shoes with the hashtag “#soblessed” as the caption, somehow validating one’s right to boast. Using a term with such a powerful meaning in order to get likes on the picture of your new Range Rover you got for graduation is well, petty. Yet, we do not notice because we trick ourselves into thinking that the European make of a car deems it a blessing. I think the word we should be using is thankful. Be thankful for the things you have, but recognize yourself as blessed for things that money or society cannot measure.

I am sure that we have all plead guilty to using the word “blessings” or the phrase “I am so blessed” to be centered around our own selfish needs of what new gadget, fashion accessories, and new technology is at the top of the market. Our social media is hounded by our “stuff” and our “experiences” as being a classification of just how blessed we are. To be completely honest, these small gifts do not hold a fabulously fragrant Yankee Candle (#soblessed) to our everyday blessings that we so easily overlook.

My humbling moment came at the ripe age of nine. I was referred to St. Jude’s Hospital for discomfort in my feet. As I complained about doctor visits and average hospital food, I noticed a newborn baby girl wrapped in a pink blanket with oxygen tubes in her nose. Suddenly, I was not as quick to complain about CT scans and stretching my legs. The only worry I had that day was whether or not I would make it back to dance class in time. My parent’s biggest fear was whether or not my attitude would comply with the restaurant we were going to after my appointment. I began to imagine the fears of that mother, and the obstacles that little girl would have in the future that were far more grand than the Tori Burch Sandals we post about.

The next time you use the phrase “I am so blessed to…” I hope that you will think about what blessing you are fixing to be thankful for. As I looked at the breakdown of the word blessing, I began to realize just how far off our posts on social media are. Sorry world, but I don’t think that your fancy vacation, new car at graduation, or your Fendi perfume is included in the English dictionary breakdown.

blessing

ˈblesiNG/

noun

1.God's favor and protection.

"may God continue to give us his blessing"

synonyms:

protection, favor

"may God give us his blessing"

oa prayer asking for God's favor and protection.

"a priest gave a blessing as the ship was launched"

ograce said before or after a meal.

synonyms:

benediction, invocation, prayer, intercession;

grace

"a special blessing from the priest"

Blessings are defined as God’s favor and protection, a prayer, and grace. The next time we use the word blessing, or the phrase, “I feel so blessed to…” I hope that we can keep this in mind. Of course blessings come in all shapes and sizes. Whether that be food, education, or the satisfaction in being able to pay your bills. However, using a phrase for materialistic items and lavish vacations completely undercuts the things we take for granted every single day. You are blessed to have woken up this morning. You are blessed to live in a country that holds freedom and safety at the top of its priority. You are blessed because God has given each and every one of us a purpose and a plan in this world. Blessings should come in the form of value pertaining to what is truly important in life. Designers, technology, vacations, vehicles, and price tags are irrelevant to how blessed we truly are.