I Grew Up On "New Girl," So It's Bittersweet Saying Farewell

Jess is the reason I wanted to be a teacher for a brief moment in my life.

51
Youtube

Anyone that knows me will know that my two favorite shows are “New Girl” and “Mr. Bean,” which are on very different spectrums of comedy and television shows. I have so many words to describe “New Girl,” but not enough to describe how sad I’ll be when the show officially ends after this season. Last year, it was released that season seven will be the final season of “New Girl.” As my jaw slowly dropped, a tear fell down my eyes from sheer sadness.

The first time I watched “New Girl” was at the ripe age of 14 years old. Just a young teen finding her way through high school with One Direction posters sprawled across her bedroom walls, I stumbled upon one of the funniest shows. The first episode of “New Girl” didn’t let me down at all but caused me to fall in love with the television show. “New Girl” had me smiling and laughing hysterically within the first five minutes.

In all honesty, I fell in love with the character Schmidt. Schmidt is a “bro,” “the dude,” the honorary second mother of Nick. Schmidt’s character is similar to an onion, in my opinion: once you keep peeling, you’ll reach the center and see that Schmidt is a somewhat decent human. Schmidt is the resident douche of the loft, but the douche that you want to hate and end up caring about.

Nick is the next character I fell in love with while watching “New Girl.” The character of Nick is truly odd but sometimes you want to give him a hug and hopes he makes it in the world. Nick doesn’t trust the bank and won’t pay the WIFI. Nick is the type of man you date for a week and realize that he’s a 30-year-old that still hasn’t grown up.

Lastly, there's Jessica Day, the loft’s “New Girl” and the main character of the show I love. Jessica Day is my style icon with a dash of 1940’s chic and a modern twist, her style is classic. Jess is the reason I wanted to be a teacher for a brief moment in my life. She’s the loft’s resident girl and a friend to all the boys. She’s absolutely “banging,” if you get the joke then you’re a true fan, but Jess is the woman you hope to be. With baskets full of yarn and a need to teach children, Jess is a sweet soul wanting to change the world, one knitted scarf at a time.

I grew up with “New Girl,” and now it’s ending. I saw all the characters develop and slowly change throughout the show, all the while I was developing and changing myself. Nick wrote his book, Jess broke-up and got back together with Dr. Sam and Schmidt finally scored his dream girl. Now, as an adult, I’ll be leaving this cherished show behind with my teenage years. The show that made me laugh when I needed a pick-me-up and a cat named Ferguson (R.I.P) stole my heart. I must say this with the deepest regards, so long “New Girl,” I will always love you.