The The Top 5 SNL Cast Members Of All Time

Live From 30 Rockefeller, The The Top 5 SNL Cast Members Of All Time

From the ones who make us chuckle to the ones who make us cry laughing, here are SNL's best from Studio 8H.

32

"Live from New York it's Saturday Night!"

Since 1975, Saturday Night Live, probably one of the most well-known sketch comedy shows ever created, leaves its audience in hysterics every Saturday night. While the show has popularized over the last four decades, it has helped shape American pop culture. Not only has it perpetuated Hollywood cinema in movies like "Wayne's World," "Coneheads," and so many more films, but it continues to be the home of where many comedic actors found their start before hitting the big screen.

Big names like Jimmy Fallon (host of the Tonight Show), Robert Downey Jr. (known as Iron Man), Adam Sandler (star in Happy Gilmore), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (known for Seinfeld) and so many more have all rose to fame thanks to their SNL big break. While many cast members go on to find their place in Hollywood, their comedic legacies will never be left behind.

Unforgettable sketches like the Blues Brothers and Weekend Update catapulted into popularity because of its featured cast members who made the show what it is today. Every SNL alumnus has played a part in the show's historic success but I think there are a few who will go down in history as timeless comedic legends never failing to make the audience laugh.

Here are the top five best SNL cast members.

5. Chris Farley

Matt Foley: Van Down By The River - SNL YouTube

The late Chris Farley never failed to use his facial expressions, range of different voices, and hilarious body language to crack the audience up. His most famous skit being the "Van Down by the River" not only made the audience laugh but made fellow cast member, David Spade, break character in chuckles. Chris Farley was simply born to be a SNL great.

4. Kristen Wiig

Weekend Update: Garth And Kat Sing Christmas Songs (Dress Rehearsal) - SNL YouTube

Before moving on to starring in the 2011 comedy, "Bridesmaids," Wiig got her start on SNL being featured in sketches like "The Californians," "Target Lady," "Garth and Kat," and so many more. Her hilarious range of voices and lack of ability to often stay in character steals the show.

3. Jimmy Fallon

Jeffrey's with Sean Hayes - SNL YouTube

If there is one thing Jimmy Fallon is known for on SNL it has got it be for breaking character. In almost every sketch I have seen featuring Fallon, he has a tough time trying not to laugh making his jokes funnier and all the more loveable.

2. Will Ferrell

More Cowbell - SNL YouTube

While Fallon can't keep his laughter under control, it seems Will Ferrell does it with ease appearing straight-faced in most sketches adding even more hilarity to his characters' jokes.

Honorable Mentions:

Adam Sandler, Dana Carvey, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, Andy Samberg, Jason Sudeikis, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, John Belushi, David Spade, Chris Rock, and Fred Armisen.

1. Bill Hader

Weekend Update: Stefon on Halloween's Hottest Tips - SNL YouTube

While he may not be a particular fan favorite, Bill Hader never fails to make me laugh. In sketches like "The Californians" and "Stefon" Hader's comical impressions, facial expressions, and constant breaking character to laugh always has me in hysterics.

* * *

While all these cast members do make their mark on the historic Vaudeville-like series, no one character can truly measure up to the success of the famed comedy show better than its entire ensemble, working together to make us laugh every Saturday night at 11:30 p.m. on NBC.