Snapchat is the newest dating app

Snapchat Has Become The Newest Dating App Of Our Generation

"Can I get your snap?"

4520

In this day in age, everyone has the app Snapchat and if you don't, you might be missing out on the biggest dating opportunity of our time. The app Snapchat was originally used to send ten-second photos of yourself to your chosen friends but in recent years it has grown to become a source of communication for dating. People would rather hand out their Snapchat usernames rather than their real phone number.

Snapchat was originally used to do brief communication with your closest friends. You can only send quick pictures of yourself or whatever is around you and only put very few words on a picture. Does that sound like a quality conversation to you? That's because it isn't. Dating has become more and more online in the past few years which has caused this growth in Snapchat being used for this sole purpose. People can easily put this picture perfect life on Snapchat and only capture their best selves. You don't even have bios on Snapchat so the person knows less about you than on any other dating app, only what you choose to share in those ten-second photos.

The use of Snapchat in dating has changed dating altogether. It has caused it to become less conversational and more about a game. Once giving or receiving a person's Snapchat, people always feel like the other person should always respond first because it shows that they care but if they don't it shows that they are not interested. Even when they do send a Snapchat, it's always about the waiting game. If you respond too quickly, then you look desperate but wait too long then it looks like you're not interested. People also give out Snapchats rather than phone numbers because of its lack of ties. If you give someone your Snap it means they might be interested but only give the phone number if you know them really well and want to potentially date them. It is always about the game when it comes to Snapchat dating and if you play the game wrong, then you end up getting ghosted.

With this new online dating world, people are able to ghost a person easier than in real life. Ghosting is when you are talking to someone and out of the blue, they drop all communication with you and never speak to you again. Sorry ladies if you got ghosted recently but it actually happens more often then some would think due to online dating. People are easily able to un-add people on social media and ignore their messages.

While Snapchat is a great app to communicate with friends, the use of it as a source of dating and getting to know someone is questionable. People use it to try and get to know people which it lacks because of its limited ways to communicate. So the next time someone asks you, "Can I get your Snap," just know the purpose behind it is not what you may think.