Snakes in Alabama

Snakes in Alabama

Snakes

168
Wordpress

Ever wondered what a Pygmy rattlesnake looks like? Is that a deadly Eastern Coral snake and a common Milk snake? Here is a complete list with photo gallery of the 50 snakes that inhabit the woods and waters of Alabama.

These photos should help you identify snakes you see in the wild or your own backyard.

[RELATED: Sharks of Alabama]

Snakes are everywhere in Alabama from the Gulf Coast to the mountains in North Alabama. They range is size from the thickness of a pencil lead to lengths approaching eight feet.

Most blend in which their surroundings but some, like the rainbow snake, and red milk snake show off their bright colors.

Snakes are highly adaptive and most are excellent hunters. They help control insect and rodent populations.

[RELATED: 58 spiders in Alabama you should know]

Alabama is home to six venomous snakes. The Eastern Coral Snake, Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Eastern Diamondback, Timber Rattlesnake and Pygmy Rattlesnake. the eastern coral snake packs the most potent venom of all. These half dozen are snakes to be avoided, although there are other snakes that will cause a nasty, painful bite.

The photo gallery has a photo of each snake that calls Alabama home. The caption info under each photo offers a physical description of the snake, the habitat they prefer, and what they eat. Keep in mind that several of these species have a wide range of coloration.