How It Feels to Leave Home and Start Over

Now you're just a little fish in a big pond.

501
Michael Hawkins Trover Profile

Growing up and leaving home is anticipated all throughout our high school years. We can't wait to go off to college in the city, on our own, get a job, and support ourselves. That's easy, right?

But when you grow up in a very small town like I did in Tracy City, TN on Monteagle Mountain, knowing everyone and their business, leaving home for a bigger city like Chattanooga is somewhat of a culture shock.

You miss the quiet little town, the two red lights, and the beautiful forestry. What felt so cozy at home, now feels so cold in the city.

No one knows you, people might say hi and talk to you in the elevator, but no one really cares about you and what you're doing with your life.

You no longer feel the strong sense of belonging that you once felt in your quaint little town. Now you feel like the outsider, who's locked out, trying to make their way in.

And that accent....oh, don't even get me started. Some people will love it, but most will make fun of you for it. People at school will think you are less educated than they are just because of the slang you use and your pronunciation. Don't ever feel bad about yourself though, because you are unique and standing out in a crowd will help take you far in life.

Between school and work, life will get busy; and coming home to visit the small town and your family will become harder and harder to do. You might feel like apart of you is missing whenever you aren't in town, but just be happy knowing that you take a piece of it with you wherever you go.

If you work hard and are accepting, you can make parts of the city home and achieve your goals. You left the quiet town to create a successful life for yourself.