3 Things To Do When Your Emotional Battery Is On 1% And You Just Need A Break

Even giving yourself small kindnesses can make a huge difference!

36

This might just be me, but after only two weeks of classes, I've found myself feeling spread way too thin. I haven't had a moment to myself between classes, friends and family, and other commitments. Staying busy is great and something I personally feel obligated to do (which I guess isn't too healthy...), but as I've conquered my first year of college and entered my second, I've realized just how important it is to spend quality time with yourself every now and then. Even if you find that time, though, it can be hard to find the motivation to do anything extra than throw on some pajamas and crawl into bed. In case anyone else is already feeling this way or happens to come across this during exam week, I wanted to give you some ideas for that extra TLC you've been needing. Here are some go-to, mostly minimal effort pick-me-ups that I try when I'm in a slump.

Try doing your skincare routine, but add something exciting

Unsplash

When life gets super rough, sometimes I don't even bother with skincare (eww, I know - it's honesty hour though). It's so time-consuming, and when I have a million other things on my to-do list, all I want is thirty extra minutes of sleep. Feeling clean and fresh really makes me feel like myself, so when things are getting out of hand, taking better care of my skin is the first thing I start with. I try to slow down and make it a process. If you don't have a routine locked down (it took me forever to figure it out, so you aren't alone), I'll list the things I use in order of how I use them for a basic layout. All of these products are relatively cheap and work for really sensitive skin: coconut oil for makeup remover, Cetaphil face cleanser, Thayer's witch hazel and cucumber facial toner, and the Clinique moisture surge gel moisturizer. When I get bored or feel like I want to give my self some extra attention, I add a few things in between. Some of my favorite things to use are Freeman face masks (my go-to is the charcoal and black sugar mud mask) and Mario Badescu's facial spray with aloe, cucumber, and green tea. After I'm confident there's not a pore visible on my face, I feel like I can take on the world.

Indulge in some comfort food

Unsplash

Most of the time, I avoid sugar like the plague, but I have a sweet tooth like no one else. Keeping that in check is important to me, but the awful stuff everyone craves is called "comfort food" for a reason. Every now and then, I think it's essential to cut yourself some slack and give in to your cravings. Having a cup of hot chocolate after a stressful day does wonders for me! You can always jump back on the healthy train right after that cookie... or "those" cookies. Treat yo' self!

Plan to add or subtract people from your kind of fun night

Unsplash

I'm so lucky to say that I have the best friends and family anyone could hope for. I'm beyond grateful for their love and support and have no idea where I would be without it. With one hundred percent certainty, I can say that if I need someone to talk to or destress with, they'll be there. It's taken me a bit, but now I let them in more, and it's really helped as I've had to overcome some tough things. Sometimes, though, I realize some quiet time to myself can be more helpful than a night out with the people I love. As an introvert, this quiet time is something I feel like I need in order to maintain what little sanity I can still claim I have. It's hard for me to say no when I'm invited out somewhere because I know that's just my loved one's way of showing me they want to be close to me. No matter their intentions, I've realized that listening to what I need too is important. So, ask yourself what you need. Get loud! Find some peace and quiet. Whatever you end up deciding on, remember it's okay to ask for company or even to say no to some.

These are relatively simple things, but for me, starting small with how you get back into self-care can be the thing that keeps you on the right track. I hope this has been helpful, and at the very least can help take you off of "low battery mode." Have a happy recharge. <3