You Don't Have To Travel Too Far To Find What You're Looking For

I am not much of a traveler, and here's why.

35
Lauren Amour

I am not much of a traveler. The concept of traveling is appealing, but the reality of getting on a plane and flying somewhere absolutely terrifies me, especially if flying over an ocean. I’m not a huge fan of confined places or knowing that I do not have any way to exit the plane until the flight is over.

Of course, I’d love to visit Venice, Italy, London, England, or even Sydney, Australia, but the thought of having to endure a lengthy plane ride is not enticing.

Due to this fear, I’ve learned to appreciate places close to home. While many Pennsylvanians may describe our state as ‘drab’ or ‘boring’, I’ve discovered that we’re actually in quite a lucky spot. We’re an hour and a half train ride from Manhattan, a 2-3 hour car ride to Baltimore, a 45-minute drive to the ocean, and not too far from Boston.

While I love big cities, they’re also incredibly overwhelming. There’s so much to see, so much to do, and so many things you feel like you’re missing out on. I’ve discovered that I much prefer smaller places with big character. Obviously, big cities have great character, but often it’s difficult to locate the people, places, art, music, etc. that makes us feel alive.

Personally, I’d much rather walk into a local coffee shop, have my order simply be ‘the usual,’ and the barista knows exactly what I want. I enjoy visiting places where I don’t feel like just a number or a soul lost in time. I want to feel like I belong, that making an impact is possible, and most importantly, to feel at home.

25-30 minutes down the highway lies a town called Princeton in New Jersey. I got the chance to visit for the first time a couple years ago when I went to the University Art Museum. I was incredibly impressed by the art museum, and wish to go back soon.

I’ve visited Princeton in all four seasons, and it looks just as beautiful in the autumn and winter months as it does in the spring and summer months. It’s a haven for artists, activists, and creators. I immediately fell in love with every aspect of the town, and the feeling it gave me when I visited.

On S. Tulane Street, the town’s famed record store resides. As soon as I stepped foot in the record store, I felt at home and at peace. There are thousands of records, CDs, DVDs, tapes, and posters adorning the walls; it’s truly a mecca for music lovers everywhere.

Along with the store having such a visible passion for music and entertainment, it’s commitment to creating a safe environment for people from all different backgrounds to simply enjoy music is quite clear.

The ability music has to unite people is such a beautiful thing, and it is especially vital in today’s world amid recent events. The Princeton Record Exchange is one of my favorite places to visit, and it allows me to be myself and celebrate my love of music.

The town of Princeton as a whole is a welcoming environment, and to me, it’s evident that they celebrate diversity and acceptance is a virtue. It contains the type of people I want to be surrounded by. Luckily, Princeton is only about 10 minutes from my school, and I try to visit as often as possible for inspiration.

Another place I discovered quite recently that gives me that same feeling of belonging and inspiration is Asbury Park, New Jersey. Up until only a week ago, I had never visited Asbury. I’ve been to pretty much every other Jersey Shore point, like Belmar, Pt. Pleasant, Sea Isle City, etc., but never made the trip to Asbury before.

This is partly because my mom had always said it was run down there and not really worth the trip. But last Thursday, my mom suggested we go there. We were growing tired of visiting the same shore points; we love them just the same but wanted a change. My mom, grandma, and I trekked on the 45-minute drive to Asbury, and as soon as we drove down the main stretch of road and I saw the numbers of murals, the Stone Pony, the Wonder Bar, the abandoned buildings… I was in love.

Asbury truly contains everything I cherish the most. My mom and I visited a kiosk and I bought a few stickers and pins; the cashier working that day described the beach as a place which celebrates music, art, and food. So, pretty much, my life.

I took so many pictures of all the beautiful art and murals. While walking down that strip of the boardwalk, I felt alive and inspired. The celebration of the city’s history, music, and art is absolutely incredible.

I left that day wanting to get back into my art, wanting to write the book I’ve been talking about writing for five years, it provided me with the confidence and inspiration I needed entering college.

It reminded me that I can turn to art and music for inspiration and guidance any time I need it and that it is possible for me to accomplish my goals. No one starts at the top, you have to work hard to get there.

I’m incredibly grateful we took that trip to Asbury last week. It will now serve as a continuous inspiration to me as an artist, a writer, a music lover, and a person.

Sure, flying to Mexico for Christmas break and going on a week-long cruise in the middle of the ocean may be nice, but I believe home is where the heart is. Places like Princeton and Asbury Park prove to me that you don’t have to travel too far to find what you’re looking for.