small family business

Coming From A Small Family Business Is One Of The Greatest Gifts I’ve Ever Received

I may complain about the stress, but I learned more than I ever thought I would have.

788
Constance Woodard

In the quite small town of Aiken, South Carolina sits a big bright blue building down the East side of Richland Ave. If you’re driving too fast I’m sure you’re going to miss it. While this building may not seem like much, this place is practically my home.

When I was five years old, my mother got a job at Wayne’s Automotive and Towing Center. And ever since then, my life has basically been shaped around this whole place.

If you come from a small business family, you know exactly what I mean. You know what it’s like to watch your parents go through endless amounts of stress about everything to do with the business.

You know that no matter how much they say they won’t talk about work anymore, they always wind up talking about it again.

They can’t help but love the company with all they have. They have put in countless hours day and night to see this company be successful.

I have watched both of my parents bend and break themselves just for this company to continue servicing the community.

They complain nonstop, but they wouldn’t give up the company for anything. When it comes down to it, they have always gone above and beyond for both their customers and their employees.

They love their company and their town.

Even though they complain about all of the stress, the financials, the team members and oh so much more, somewhere along the way they managed to teach to me what it's like to be a true leader and not just a boss.

Having a small business in the family can bring many benefits.

For one, you always know you’ll, almost, always have a backup job waiting for you at home. It teaches you the true value of money. And most of all, it teaches how important it is to be apart of an amazing team.

Don't get me wrong, there have been many moments when even I wanted them to sell the business and just move on with life.

Like when birthday parties had to be rescheduled or when company events are a higher priority than your prom! Or even when all you want is for five minutes without them saying the words "work," "employees," "schedule," or really just anything that even relates to the business.

I watched them time after time say they were just going to sell the whole place and be done with it, but I always knew no matter what they would stick it. Because they are determined and strong-willed. And now because of them, so am I.

I know what it's like to love your job and those you work with. But I also know that if you're not happy with the job your fulfilling, then it's not worth it.

While my parents may fuss about selling the business and I may get teased about running the company one day, I know that at the end of the day I wouldn’t trade having a small family business for anything.