8 Small Things That Will Boost Your Mood At College

These little things can do a lot to change your whole day.
79

It's no secret that college is a vibrant combination of good moments and bad moments. At many times, it seems like the bad and overwhelming moments, especially related to tests, assignments, and other class-related stress, can greatly outweigh the good ones. During these moments when you feel like there's very few good moments, it's good to try to find out those small, everyday things that can improve your mindset and change your whole mental state around. While walking around your campus this fall, look out for these instant mood-boosters.

1. Service Dogs

While most people on your campus probably won't have actual pet dogs, there's many students who participate in raising and training service dogs. You may see them walking to class, riding the bus, or hanging in the quad, and they always make my day so much better.

2. Free Food

If an event advertises free food, you will find me there no matter the reasoning for the event. While I have a full meal plan and normally snacks back in my dorm room, there's something so much more exciting about getting random food for free and it really changes my whole day around.

3. Free T-Shirts

Just like free food, I will go to literally any event to get a free t-shirt. If my friends recommend going to anywhere, the first question out of my mouth will always be "are they giving out t-shirts?". My drawers are stuffed with my random assortment of shirts, and each new one makes my whole day better.

4. Beautiful Weather

It's no secret that as the first semester progresses, the weather becomes gross and cold, making the academic sadness even greater. However, those random, brief days of warm, sunny weather can really do a lot for me in improving my mood and changing my daily mindset.

5. Getting Mail

I don't know about anyone else, but I love whenever I get an e-mail that I have a delivery in the mail room. Whether I had ordered something online or received a surprise package or card from parents or family, it always made me so excited and eager to pick it up and open it up.

6. Late Night Roomie Convos

No matter what time I would plan on going to bed, I know I should probably add an hour to that time because of chit-chatting with my roommate as we fall asleep. It would be so nice to end the day on a happy note and getting to share our adventures of the day.

7. Sporting Events

One of the great things about college is that most (if not all) of the sporting events are free to students. I love to go to a game and just feel the excitement, no matter the outcome of the game, and it always gives me something to look forward to during the week.

8. Canceled Classes

During the heat of the semester, especially when overwhelmed with papers and midterms, one of the greatest mood boosting things is getting an email that a class has been canceled. It's a great way to unwind or have time to catch up on work or sleep, and it's a rare special treat.

So, there's eight things that hopefully you'll seek out during the college semester to help improve your mood and give you a greater and less stressful college experience!