Being A Slut Isn't A Bad Thing

According to Google, a slut is "a woman who has many casual sexual partners."

The denotation above does not state that being a slut is shameful, yet a negative connotation of the word has been ingrained in us for centuries. In today's society, especially, the word slut is used in a malicious way. "Sluts" are generally looked down upon and put to shame. We use the word "slut" to insult women because apparently, being a woman who sleeps around is controversial and morally wrong.

The number of people a woman sleeps with should not define her or give her a bad reputation. Slut-shaming should not be acceptable because being a slut is not a negative thing.

Even worse than slut-shaming is assuming someone is promiscuous due to their fashion choices. Unfortunately, we often associate the way someone dresses with whether they are a "slutty" or not. As a whole, we feel entitled to label women as sluts solely on the way they dress, and that is unfair. Women should feel free to dress according to their tastes without being judged. It is ridiculous that it is only deemed acceptable to dress like a "slut" on Halloween. For starters, exposing skin or wearing tight garments does not entail that one is dressed to be promiscuous. Secondly, nobody has the right to judge someone else so superficially.

Being a slut is not a bad thing, but since it is perceived as a bad thing, women are often offended when referred to as a slut. We need to change the way we perceive sluts because it is demeaning to all women. The way women dress should not bring rise to assumptions about how many sexual partners they may have had or currently have. Women should also not be criticized for the number of partners they choose to have. All in all, slut shaming must be brought to an end.

Sluts are just women, like all other women, who just happen to have multiple sexual partners. Women who dress on the more liberal side may or may not be sluts, so let us refrain from making assumptions. Together, we can make a change, and make it socially acceptable to be a slut and to dress freely without being deemed a "slut" in relation to today's connotation.