Slam Poetry: A Hidden Wonder

Slam Poetry: A Hidden Wonder

A thank you to those who turn feelings into words

55
Slam Poetry: A Hidden Wonder
Brokebutbougie.com

Slam poetry is one of the hidden wonders in today’s world. I didn’t discover slam poems myself until my senior year of high school when my English teacher had us watch “Somewhere in America." I was hit hard by the power this poem was able to possess. From that point on, I was hooked on slam poetry. I’ve spent numerous hours watching various slam poems on YouTube, ranging in themes from unrequited love to depression. I’ve found the way a slam poem makes me feel is unlike anything else. This is a thank you letter to those who write and perform slam poetry.

I’d like to say thank you for speaking for millions of us. Numerous poets admit they write for themselves, but have the courage to share their deepest feelings with the world. Thank you for that. I can’t even begin to tell you how much your words have influenced me. Slam poetry has been an emotional support system for me when I had nothing else. I thought there was no one out there who had ever gone through the situation that I was currently in, but slam poetry always taught me otherwise. Someone out there was always feeling just the same.

Your ability to turn such raw, powerful emotions into such heart-wrenching analogies is beyond belief. I’m not sure what is running through a slam poet’s mind when they begin writing, but the ability to compare one’s happiness to the most perfect object is a true talent. I’ve tried writing slam poetry for a few months now, and I’ve never been that successful. Turning one’s deepest thoughts into words is difficult as is, but having an ability to wave tears through a crowd is beyond belief. If I could have any talent in the world, it’d honestly be to write slam poetry. It’s something I truly admire.

My favorite slam poems have helped me in my darkest of moments. Right now, I’m completely in love with “To the Boy I Would Have Lost My Virginity To” by Anna Binkovitz. Anna shares with the world the struggles of her eating disorder and how that makes her feel when she wants to have sex with someone, especially the guy who would've been her first. Another classic on my list is, “When Love Arrives” by Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye. It's a laid-back twist on the feeling of finding your soulmate from a young age. Lastly, there’s “How to Succeed in Heartbreak” by Victoria Morgan, who will have anyone who’s ever experienced a bad end to a relationship relating from a deeper level. As you can tell, all of these poems have greatly contrasting themes, but still have an ability to relate to my life and keep me coming back for more.

Slam poets, this is my final thank you. Without your work I’d be left alone at my darkest moments; wondering why I was forced into a difficult situation. Your ability to turn your heartbreak into inspirational work for numerous people is truly wonderful. I’ll never be able to thank you enough.

I fully believe the best way to get through a difficult time is to write about it. Get all your feelings out on paper and let it be known that you’re pissed off, or completely in love. Whatever you write may be shitty at first, as most of my writings are, but I promise you will one day write something worth sharing with the world. Who knows, you could have the world's next hit slam poem in your hands!