Skipping Class Is A Problem That's Hard To Stop Once Started

We've all done it.
650

Let's get something straight. I know skipping class is not a very smart thing to do, but sometimes it's necessary. This is as Peter Griffin says, "Grinds my gears," but people do it every single day on campuses across the country. At least every single student has skipped one of their classes.

I'm not saying that you should constantly skip class because that is obviously not a smart thing to do. What I am saying is that it's okay to skip once or twice.

Although I say this, I can't really be one to judge since I've missed class a couple of times in my college career. The thing is though that there are some good reasons why people miss class sometimes.

According to PR Newswire, after doing an experiment on Twitter, their data showed that only 13 percent of students were not skipping class, 87 percent of students admitted to skipping class, and 40 percent gave a reason to why they were skipping class.

This data does not surprise me, but this is only the majority of students that have Twitter and who to the time to answer the question. Not counting the students that did not answer the question, or do not have Twitter will most likely raise these numbers dramatically.

According to the same site, these are the reasons why most skip classes.

• Hanging with Friends: 37 percent of the Twitter posts referenced skipping class to spend more time with their friends.
  • Too Tired: 32 percent of students tweeted that they were sleeping or too tired to go to class.
  • Recreation: 17 percent of students indicated a specific recreational event or activity that took precedence over attending class. There were a vast number of specific events mentioned, including sports, watching television and playing video games.
  • Studying: 11 percent of students mentioned being too busy with other schoolwork to attend class.
  • Weather: three percent of students' posts cited the weather—whether too beautiful or too unpleasant—as the reason they skipped.

I've used at least all of these reasons once so far. The simple fact is that students will come up with any reason not to go to class. Why? Because it's college and you're on your own. No more parents forcing you to go to school. It's hard to adjust to college life for some more than others. So skipping class comes with college life.

This can be changed, but students will always skip class until colleges find a way to make skipping look unpleasant.