6 Things I Never Got To Say To You Before You Passed, Dad

To the only man for 12 years of my life.

196
Everypixel

Some things in life people regret. Some words go unspoken, but my words are no longer unwritten. To you dad, I wish I could tell you this in person but some things are impossible.

1. A "Thank You"

You have made me more strong and independent. You have taught me what not to do when raising my future family. You have inspired me to help others in my future because of all the times that I helped you. You are the reason that I was the multi-sport athlete that I was in my childhood.

2. Where I am Now and How I Have Changed

You have motivated me. I am at a private school, one of my 38 options. I have not one, but two stable jobs. I have a solid foundation of people who have helped me through it all and helped fix everything that you ruined in my life. They have helped me become more confident and see that everything is going to be okay. I am now involved on campus and on the road to success. Although I do not know if this is where I can end up and if I will become what I truly want to be at this school, I will figure things out because I will not run away. I will face the facts and become successful. I will be able to make a living for myself, just like mom did for us.

3. What I Hope to Become

I hope in the future to become someone confident and self-sufficient. I want to be able to support myself and hopefully my family. I do not want to run away from my problems, I want to face them and make them better. I strive and will always strive to be happy in every way possible. I want to be able to help others and to make an impact. I was to stay daring and continue being a risk-taker. I want to live life on the edge and to the fullest. I want to take advantage of all the opportunities that come my way.

4. How I Really Felt

I wish I got to tell you how I felt when you left and how I felt when you were never coming back. I wish I got to tell you how I felt when you embarrassed me in front of my entire school and how I felt when you constantly yelled at me. I wish you got to feel how I felt when you left me and our entire family behind.

5. Sorry

Maybe I got this from you, but I was stubborn and made myself hate you. I distanced myself for the time you left and never got to give you second chances. I give everyone else the benefit of the doubt, but I did not give you one. You tried to be the best father you could, and although I did not see it fully, you did make an impact on me and my life.

6. Goodbye

When going away to college after coming home for every break, it is always the hardest to say to everyone. I cannot get over the fact that I struggle not seeing the people that I love and care about for such long periods of time.