6 Places To See In The Unseen Country

6 Places To See In The Unseen Country

A country the size of Massachusetts holds a beauty unimaginable.

4107
6 Places To See In The Unseen Country
Balkan Travel Group

"I'm from Albania."

"You mean Albany?"

"No."

"Oh, Alabama?"

"No, Albania."

I come from a country the size of the state of Massachusetts. Where people live in the colors red and black. Where the mountain peaks crash with the ocean shores to make a picturesque image that is almost unimaginable. I come from a country where life is hard to earn, and its past, hard to forget. I come from a country where a two headed eagle flies high, and its people's pride soars with it. I come from Albania.

Albania is a small country with coastlines on the Adriatic and Ionian seas. Other than its breathtaking coast, its interior is woven by the Albanian Alps where even more hidden beauty lies.

Wherever you go in Albania, you are bound to have your breath taken away and your heart stolen by the little country that is filled with hidden adventure, ready to surprise the world.

1. The Capital, Tirana

The capital city of Albania, Tirana, is the home of many of Albania's young population, where life is vibrant in the day and night. The city is affordable with amazing food around each corner you turn. Blloku (the Block) is the center of young life in Tirana, filled with cafes, restaurants and night clubs.

2. Llogara Pass (Qafa e Llogarasë – in Albanian)

Driving along the coastal road to Dhermi, you will drive through one of the most spectacular views. This windy road brings you through the Ceraunian Mountains, from the Dukat Valley to the Himara coastal region. It is currently on the list of highest paved roads in Europe.

3. Albanian Riviera

The rolling hills covered with olive groves are met by beaches with untouched waters. These waters filled with vibrant blues and are perfect for a getaway.

4. Ksamil

South of Saranda, and a hop, skip and a jump away from the Greek border, Ksamil has the most ideal location. These three small islands are surrounded by turquoise waters. You can go to Corfu, where you are closer to Greece than you think, or Butrint, a Unesco World Heritage Site, where you can combine the experience of an ancient city and a beautiful beach.

5. Blue Eye Saranda (Syri I Kalter)

Located outside of Saranda, the Blue Eye is classified as a naturally occurring phenomenon. It is still unreal how deep this water spring is. Divers have descended to 50 meters and have yet to find a clear answer in the blue waters. This beauty is a must see in Albania.

6. Gjirokastra

An old Ottoman town covered with limestone streets is home to the imposing Gjirokastra Castle, a castle anyone would wish to have lived in. You have the most amazing views in your new fantasy house filled with history of the country. Also with in the castle, is a skeleton of a U.S. air force plane forced down in Albanian in 1957