Six Lesser-Known Songs For Sad Moods

Six Lesser-Known Songs For Sad Moods

The radio doesn't play these songs that often, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good for times when you're blue.

265
Six Lesser-Known Songs For Sad Moods
Franklin

1. Disenchanted by My Chemical Romance

"You're just a sad song with nothing to say."

My Chemical Romance might not be the first band you think of when you're sad, but "Disenchanted" is a beautifully written song. The lyrics sing beautifully, mixing together the feelings of regret, anger and pure sadness. This song speaks to the heart. The lyrics, while obviously speaking about specific memories of Gerard Way, can be formed to fit your experiences perfectly.

2. Used by Paradise Fears

"I know you're not hurting, and that hurts most of all."

"Paradise Fears" is a lesser-known band, but that doesn't make their music any less amazing. Their songs tackle topics like depression, religion, spirituality and loneliness. This song, in particular, speaks, or rather, sings, about the end of a relationship where one person is still attached. Whether it's a one-sided friendship, an unresponsive boyfriend or even a parent that doesn't spend time with you, this song perfectly shows someone not being able to let go.

3. The I Love You Song from The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

"I think Dad is angry, Ma, and I do not know what to do. Mama, Mama, Mama. Shanti Shanti and all. I think he takes out on me what he wants to take out on you."

My theater department recently performed "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," and while all of the songs are beautiful, "The I Love You Song" was a song that made many of the actors and techies shed tears. This song talks about a young girl, Olive Ostrosky, who has a father who is an angry workaholic and a mother who is on a nine-month spiritual quest in India. The father and mother come to Olive in her mind as she is spelling the word "chimerical," which, incidentally, means wildly fanciful, highly unrealistic. Olive's parents profess their love and admiration of their only daughter, until the end, when they leave from her imagination. Even with some comedic relief, this song may leave you crying.

4. Save Tonight by Eagle-Eye Cherry

"Save tonight, fight the break of dawn. Come tomorrow, tomorrow I'll be gone."

"Save Tonight" is a song that Duke Tip plays at the end of the traditional dances. The lyrics talk about limited time together and not to worry about tomorrow, when they will leave, but to only think about tonight -- to save it. With a simple melody and beautifully written lyrics, this song does not require anything more than a working set of headphones to start the tears. Whether at Duke Tip, another, similar camp, graduating from high school or leaving anything else in any other sort of way, this song is a perfect fit.

5. Last Kiss by Taylor Swift

"Your name, forever the name on my lips, just like our last kiss."

I can't even begin to talk about how many times this song has made me cry after the end of a relationship. This song talks about the disbelief that a relationship has ended. Simple as that. The easy, repetitive melody and the specific recollections of moments throughout the relationship create an image in your mind that will cause the floodgates to open and not close again.

6. Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman

"Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight, and she'll be gone."

This song is a song that will always make me sob. If you are a girl, no matter what kind of relationship you have with your father, this song is touching and heartbreaking. Steven Curtis Chapman talks about his daughter, a beautiful dancer, and calls her the beautiful princess Cinderella. The two of them dance together while she is pretending to be a princess, and then later, when the prom is one week away, the two dance together again, and he says that he knows more than the prince will ever know. When the clock strikes midnight, she leaves, but soon, she is back for the last time. She wears a ring on her finger and asks her dad for some final dancing practice. Steven holds onto his daughter one last time before the clock strikes midnight. A beautiful song for any kind of relationship between Daddy and Daughter.

These songs, while usually not played on the radio anymore, are all songs that I believe are ideal for a good cry, a scream out of angst or even just to calm down. Hopefully you discover one of your new favorite songs through this list.