Six Guaranteed Mishaps You Will Experience At CofC And How To Avoid Them

10

College of Charleston is a school without parallel. Located in a city ranked the best city in the world, our beloved CofC sits amidst a thriving cultural scene including, but not limited to, a coveted music and theatre industry, history dating further back than America's birth, an international arts festival, and on-location filming for innumerable movies and television shows. Paired with perpetual sunny days, iconic shopping, and beaches, most other schools pale in comparison.

Still, CofC is not perfect. If it was perfect, it would be pizza. Some less than ideal things are sure to happen along your journey through your four years at CofC. Here's how to make the best of them. 

1. Mail services is slow. Very slow. To avoid waiting 20 minutes, or more, for your latest Tobi order, do not visit Mail Services during class changes. Additionally, do not grace Mail Services with your presence within the last 30 minutes of operating hours. Though you may receive your package notification email at this time, it is not an invitation to hustle on over and pick up your delivery. It may seem like it, but trust me, it's not.

2. Food in Liberty will be unbearable, at least every once in a while. Learn to make use of the salad bar and sandwich stations. They will be lifesavers on an empty stomach. 

3. You will get caught in a torrential downpour, tropical storm, flood, hurricane, or any combination of the four. Do your best to keep at least a rain jacket with you as often as possible. Stuffed in the bottom of your bag or backpack, it will be indispensable in your hour of need. Also, realize that it happens to everyone and you really will be okay. 

4. Student Health Servicesmight not be your best friend. Unless you like paperwork and beating around the bush. Make an appointment a week in advance with a specific reason for your visit or use the MinuteClinic at CVS. Enough said. 

5. You will spend way too much money on food. With a culinary community like few others, Charleston's famous and delicious restaurants tempt at all times. Make a budget and stick to it, or save your dinners out for special occasions, like birthdays, or Fridays. 

6. You will wear heels whilst out. Never do this. You will fall on 200 year old bricks and cobblestones, and still have to walk home. Heels on King is the sign of a freshman or tourist.