10 Situations Due To Learning a Language Abroad

Hint: There are a lot of awkward ones.

160
Language Teaching Centre

In the eyes of many people, being able to speak every single language in the world fluently sounds like one of the most fantastic abilities to ever be imagined. Ideally, it would even be fantastic to fluently speak the native language of an area you're visiting. However, it doesn't always end up that way. Sadly, that's why a lot of the touristy cities of the world have a lot of people who can speak English -- it's good for business to make the tourists feel comfortable. Learning it before visiting is an option, and doing so has its own host of challenges. However, when you're studying abroad and you don't have the ability of speaking the language yet, things can get a bit more complicated with its own interesting quirks:

1. Using the phrase "I speak English" is relieving and sad at the same time.

A few times a week, somebody will try to actually have a conversation with you or say something to you in this new language. You want to understand, but you're still learning. You don't want to admit you've failed this conversation. At first, I always try the awkward "nod and smile" technique in hopes that they just made a comment on something (hopefully something acceptable to laugh at). But, sometimes they await a response or keep speaking. That's when you say "I speak English (I'm sorry, I've failed you and my professor)" but, hey, at least the conversation usually either ends there or they switch to English.

2. Class turns into a "How do I say..." session very quickly.

These random phrases or words may have nothing to do with the lesson, but a student obviously needs them for something. There have been multiple occasions where I've asked my professor how to say very important phrases such as "Can I pet your dog?" or how to order food. In my opinion, these are the most important parts of class because these are words and phrases that you may need to survive. Still, it can be a little less vital, like one time I asked my professor how I would order a shot at a bar.

3. In class, you feel like you can take on the world.

Every chapter covered and every phrase learned in class empowers you more and more. By the end of a week, you may feel like you can hold a conversation with somebody without a problem. When the situation arises, though, well, refer back to number one. It's really strange to get knocked back down to Earth so quickly, but it happens when you're learning.

4. Every bit of progress makes you feel like a superhuman.

Let's say you're walking by a stranger and you actually understand what they're saying - or maybe even you pick up a few words and have the ability to break the rest of the sounds up in your head to figure out which ones are words you don't know. For a few moments after that, you're a language learning god. It feels really good to make any sort of progress. But don't go full Icarus just yet, know your limits.

5. There's always that friend that just gets it.

Every group has that person who just gets the language and adopts the position of being the person to always speak to strangers. They're the type of person who picks something up on the first or second day it was taught.You will be jealous of this person and in awe of them at the same time. Just hold off on the temple building for now. They're talented, but not infallible.

6. You try to use the language more to distance yourself from tourists.

A lot of tourists know the basic formalities of a conversation (hello, goodbye, thank you) and that's really it. I can't blame them too much, they are just visiting, after all, and learning another language can be hard. But students aren't abroad just to visit and leave; we're here to experience culture and learn from it. So, we try to show people that we're not just the tourists -- here to get a few pics and go -- by throwing in some words and phrases beyond the basics. I like to imagine this earns me at least a little less contempt when I butcher the language.

7. Saying the wrong word and getting a look of complete confusion is a part of everyday life.

Just like any language, there are many words in Italian that sound very similar to others. Confusing them and using completely different words interchangeably happens a lot. Usually this is met with a brief moment of silence and then the understanding look of "Oh you mean [insert correct word here], okay," and the conversation gets fixed. For example, while I was in Sicily, I discovered a food item called an "arancino". While in a street food place, I accidentally ordered an "arancia", which means "orange". It took me and the cashier a second to understand what happened, but we fixed it and I got my snack that had absolutely no citrus in it at all.

8. You're a deer in headlights when a conversation doesn't go as planned.

Most times when I'm waiting in line at a market or something, I plan out what I want to say and I predict how the other person will respond. The whole conversation is planned out in my head. Then, of course, the other person says something just a little bit outside of this plan and everything falls apart. Every single word I've learned in class disappears and I'm left with a dumb-struck look on my face. Trying to forge a sentence after that may work or you may have to refer to number one, again.

9. Even worse is when someone is mad and and yelling in this language.

With luck, this will never happen to you. One of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced is having an angry Italian yelling at me. Maybe you walked in the street while they were driving, maybe you hit their apartment buzzer by accident - whatever it is, if you can't understand what they're even yelling about, an angry person is even scarier. You can't even escape with "I speak English" - it doesn't work. You just have to wait for the moment to pass or for that person to be abducted by aliens, whichever comes first.

10. You understand that most people appreciate the effort.

The best moment, though, is noticing that the person you're speaking to appreciates that you're trying to use their language instead of resorting to your own and expecting them to accommodate this. Sometimes, the person you're talking to may even help you out. When learning the language abroad, these are the best interactions you can have if you want to learn and retain the language. A few weeks ago, I was trying to order a quarter kilo of fresh tortellini from a market and couldn't get the words out correctly. The person behind the stand noticed this and we had a basic conversation while they helped me with the sentence. Instead of hating me for not speaking their language they used their knowledge of mine to help me out. Hm, what a novel concept.