Sit Back and Summer

Sit Back and Summer

Your summer break is precisely that...YOURS.

12
Sit Back and Summer
WikiMedia Commons

It is finally starting to feel like summer. This is the time of year where everyone has the opportunity to sit back, relax, and enjoy some well-deserved "me time." For many, this means endless hours waiting tables, creating attention-grabbing clothing displays, and sitting through a predetermined amount of hours at an internship. This also includes finding time for a social life filled with Instagram-worthy adventures, travelling abroad, and potentially finding a summer love (if you are lucky enough).

As a rising college junior, I fall into the first half of the summer stereotypes. I wait tables at a local country club, and I am in the early stages of an internship at a local newspaper's sports department; however, I can openly and honestly admit that my summer social life is pretty lacking.

I scroll through my Snapchat stories, Instagram and Twitter feeds, and I observe all of the engaging posts my friends are making. I cannot help but compare my social media feeds with my own summer activity. Personally, I do not post on social media on a consistent basis, but my activity definitely decreases during the summer months due to my lack of a social life. Most teens and young adults would respond to my summer activity log in two ways: the first being extremely relatable and the second being "why don't you go out and do something?"

In today's society, teens and young adults feel this overwhelming sense of pressure to go on amazing trips and spontaneous late-night adventures with your best friends. But, with the seemingly endless daily life of a teen/20-something, summer should be an acceptable time to relax and slow down.

Sure you can go to work or your internship, and of course I am not downplaying how much fun it would be to have one of those amazing summers that you cannot wait to relay to your friends and drag out for months. But after surviving a whole academic year balancing school work, athletics and work study, I am completely content in slowing things down. The occasional meal with friends from home, a weekend camping trip with my family and close family friends, and even one country concert are all I need to satisfy my summer adventure cravings.

New question you might be wondering: "Then what do you do with the rest of your free time in the summer?" Great question.

I spend my summers outside of work doing all of the things I wish I could do all school year long. I exercise on a fairly consistent basis, I sit on my favorite couch curled up with my favorite blanket and binge watch every show I can on Netflix, and I spend an obscene amount of time with my family. This sounds cheesy and the exact opposite of what a teenager or young adult in 2017 would want to do with a break from real responsibilities, but not being able to see your family and catch up on everything you missed during your semester at school makes you appreciate summer vacation and sitting on the couch convincing your mom to join in your latest binge against her will.

So to anyone feeling unproductive and uneventful this summer, remember the saying "to each his own." Some people feel the need to be in a constant state of motion; others find joy in sitting on their porch late into the summer evening, enjoying the fresh summer air. Both options are completely acceptable. It all boils down to your personality and what you want to do with your life. Don't feel bad about staying home and relaxing, but don't kill yourself to have the best summer of your life.