I Don’t Need Greek Letters to Have Sisterhood

And three reasons I will never rush

164

For many freshmen college girls, the start of spring semester marks a chance to start over and redefine themselves for the better. For some girls, this means "rush week" and the possibility to join a "sisterhood" defined by Greek letters, coordinated outfits, and some hefty fees. I'll never speak bad about other women, nor will I judge them for what their definition of "sisterhood" and female empowerment is, but for me, Greek life was and will never represent true sisterhood to me.

The cuts

This one irks me the most because rushing never guarantees the opportunity to be in a sorority. Yes, I know not everyone can be a winner or get in, but isn't the whole point of sororities to lift women up? Instead, rush is met with crushed girls wondering why they weren't good enough.

The rules  

From GPA requirements to social media expectations, the thought of living by someone else's rules just doesn't fly with me.

I already have sisterhood 

Throughout my life, I've been lucky enough to meet women who have become my sisters and cherish them for who they are. They came into my life unexpectedly, not through designated social events.