College Singles Discuss How They Feel About Valentine's Day

17 College Singles Discuss How They Really Feel About Valentine's Day

Single college women dished on their favorite traditions and gave advice to other singles just like them.

55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_7QZxWYKc4
Warner Bros.

It is that time of year again! Valentine's Day is the one day of the year people either dread or can't wait for. Single or not, it's a day that we all want to be able to celebrate eventually.

We always hear about cute things couples do on the day of love, including seeing all of their Instagram posts. I was curious about how single college women really felt about Valentine's Day, so I conducted a survey and asked a few questions. Here are how 17 single college women felt about being without a man on February 14th.

How do you feel about being single on Valentine's Day?

Some women are sad or ashamed for being single on Valentine's Day, and some embrace it. Within this survey, a majority of the women revealed that they were unbothered by being single. However, there were some others that felt sad, lonely, and depressed.

For those feeling sad on Valentine's Day, take some advice from your other single women! There is no need to feel bothered because you don't have a special someone to celebrate the day with.

"I feel good because if I was meant to be with someone right now, I would be."

What's meant to be will be, and although it may suck that it isn't right now, the Valentine's Day you dream of having will come eventually. Just be patient.

Do you want to celebrate Valentine's Day or do you feel it isn't important?

A few of the women surveyed felt that Valentine's Day isn't important if you don't have anyone to spend it with. However, one single lady felt you don't have to be in a relationship to celebrate the day of love.

"I think this is a holiday of loving everyone in your life, not just your boyfriend or girlfriend."

Valentine's Day may be about celebrating the relationship you have with your significant other, but it should also be about celebrating everyone in your life that you love.

Eight of the 17 women surveyed said they'd wished they could celebrate Valentine's Day.

When we think of love, we often think of the romance or intimacy that goes along with it. But love isn't just about those things. We should use this day to remind ourselves of everyone in our lives we love as well as those who love us in return. There is no need to "wish" you could celebrate because you totally can, even if you're single.

"I don't think Valentine's Day is that important. If you're with someone, you shouldn't just celebrate your love on one day."

This is also true. There is no need to wait for one day to make your loved ones feel special. Tell them you love them as often as possible! Being loved is an amazing feeling, and telling someone you love them is even better. Don't use one day of the year as an excuse to let your feelings out. There is no time like the present!

Do you have any Valentine's Day traditions?

If you've been single for a long time, then you're sure to have your own Valentine's Day traditions. Hanging out with all your best friends is always a great way to feel the love that the day brings. The women I surveyed dished on some of their own traditions they've been following for years.

"Me and my best friend always get each other something small. Even when we're at separate schools, we mail each other stuff."

I thought this was so cute. Having a little something to look forward to every year is a great way to celebrate the love that the day brings.

"Wine night with my roomies!"

"My friends and I were seeing the '50 Shades' movies for the past few years."

Wine is always a good option and it fixes all of your problems, especially if you're drinking it with your friends. Sadly, there are no "50 Shades of Grey" movies to look forward to this year, but "Isn't it Romantic?" looks like the best next thing.

How should single women spend Valentine's Day?

The 17 singles I surveyed all had an abundance of ideas of what to do on Valentine's Day, most of them including going out with friends, drinking, and treating themselves.

"Do something for themselves!"

It's important to remember to treat yourself every once in a while, and this is the perfect day to do it. Go get some Valentine's Day candy, hit the spa, buy yourself something nice, etc. You don't need someone else to make you feel happy, so treat yo' self whenever you feel like you need some love.

"Get drunk!"

Always a good option. But even better when spent with your other girlfriends, too. Turn Valentine's Day into Galentine's Day!

Advice from single ladies, for single ladies...

"Enjoy the day anyway because, at the end of the day, all you really need are friends and family that you love."

"We are strong, independent women who don't need men to tell us how special we are! Enjoy the people in your life and love them on this day; you don't need to love one specific person! Also, treat yourself on this day, we all deserve it!"

The truth is right here in this quote. There's no need for you to feel like you can't celebrate or enjoy Valentine's Day because you don't have a man to celebrate with. We're all special, whether we're single or not.

"When it's meant to be with someone, it will be."

"It's just a holiday, and it isn't going to make or break your life if you don't have someone to celebrate it with every year."

Most importantly: "It's okay to be single."

Girls put a lot of pressure on themselves to find a man or be in a relationship. Believe me, we've all been there and know it can be tough. But just remember that you don't need a day of the year to feel special and loved. You should feel that all the time if you surround yourself with those you care about. Enjoy your Valentine's Day, especially if you're single!

Now, someone pass the wine!