I'll Be Single Again For Valentine's Day 2020, And I'm Finally OK With That

I'll Be Single Again For Valentine's Day 2020, And Unlike Last Year, I'm Finally OK With That

"Singleness is not a disease that needs to be cured."

50
Joseph Kellner via Unsplash

I used to hate Valentine's Day.

I already knew I was painfully single, so why did there need to be a whole day dedicated to this fact? Gone were the days of everyone in my elementary school class getting a card and candy heart at the class Valentine's Day party. Those sweet memories were replaced by girls in my high school crying rather embarrassing tears when their boyfriends of two weeks gave them some chocolate, and me hearing stories of the amazing date nights the next day. It was almost as if I wore a glowing neon sign those days that practically screamed, "I'M SINGLE."

It was always a very lonely day for me, and every year I would regard my singleness as a badge of shame. Now, I'm four years out of the high school version of Valentine's Day, and I can honestly say I definitely needed to take a step back from my seventeen-year-old self's thought processes.

I still get frustrated by the fact that I'm single from time to time. I constantly struggle with giving God complete and total control of my relationships. This article isn't me saying that one little fix is all it'll take for you to be OK with being single, especially on the most romantic day of the year.

It's a hard fight within your heart, but I promise it's worth it.

Recently, a dear friend of mine and I were having a rather in-depth conversation about being single. I was, once again, telling her how much I hated being single and how I couldn't wait to have a boyfriend. I wasn't saying it out loud, but I was definitely implying that I viewed singleness as a bad thing, and I needed to fix this problem as soon as possible. When I started to become really discouraged in our discussion, she told me, "Bailey, singleness is not a disease that needs to be cured. It can actually be a wonderful blessing in your life!"

Of course, in my unending stubbornness, I didn't believe her at first. But the more I prayed and thought about it, the more I realized that my singleness really didn't need to be cured. I still want a relationship of course, but I'm perfectly happy with where I am right now.

There are still just as many things I can do while I'm single, and I don't have to let the fact that I'm not in a relationship hold me back.

I've got the best family and friends in the whole world who encourage me in literally everything I do. There are so many new and exciting things for me to do, like travel the world, write new music, and meet the best people. There are still so many things I can learn from God, and I can really and truly depend on Him as I continue my search for a husband.

I know Valentine's Day can be lonely for someone who isn't in a relationship, but I can definitely assure you that being single does not mean there is anything wrong with you.

You are amazing the way you are, and that's something to celebrate! You've got so many exciting adventures and opportunities ahead of you. It's great to dream of relationships, but it's also great to realize you are amazing just as you are and can do so many great and exciting things even if you don't have a date on February 14th.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.