How Did It Happen That I'm A Single Mom And I'm In College?

I know I work hard for him.

233
Author's photo

I’m a single mom, in college. How did this happen?

Yes. You read the title correct.

I am a single mom, yes I am also still in college.

So yes that does mean I also do have a full-time job. How else can you support a child when the father is not involved? Not bashing the father, but the truth is what it is. You can not let a bump in the road stop you from pursuing your dreams.

I feel like when you are having roadblocks it gives you even more of a reason to push harder in order to achieve what you have been trying to achieve for so long but have not been able to achieve, you now have a fan club out there looking at you and wishing nothing but the best for you.

Sometimes it is still crazy for me to just think about how I got here.

When I was younger, and I thought about families, and I would see single mothers and I have them in my family, my mom actually was divorced by the time I was 8, so although my dad was around and was still in the picture, my mom did raise me as a single mother.

I always told myself that was something that would never happen to me, that I would never be that person that would raise my child without the father in the picture, or even just as a single mother. I always thought I would be married as well even if I wasn’t married that we would be one big happy family. Well, life happens. Things do not always go how you wanted them to go, but just because they do not that does not mean that you are not able to move on and get on with your life. You may feel that you cannot but you have to remember you have someone counting on you and you have to be strong enough for the both of you.

One day, I was around a month late and I saw I was pregnant and I cried because I was scared of what was going to be the outcome, I was just hoping and praying for a beautiful and healthy baby. When you find out that you are going to be a single mother, the first thing to realize and the most important thing is that YOUR CHILD is the top priority.

I know it will seem like the end of the world because you do not have your happy ending with the person you thought you wanted it with, but there is a reason that person is leaving, and anyone that is not with you during your most vulnerable state of your life does not deserve you.

Also if you are not able to have a stable relationship it is not healthy for the child and the healthy and happy relationship you think you want to have will not be what you really wanted it to be. Sometimes unexpected things in life happen because life decided that you needed to take a good look at yourself and slow down and look around at what you are doing with your life and figure out why and make a better outcome. These are some of your biggest blessings. I know this is one of mine, even if parenting is not easy.

When you start to realize what is important you then realize what you need to prioritize and put first. I knew what I needed to put first was my child and his well-being and safety. Then I needed to start getting my goals and myself together so that I can be a better woman in order to be the best mom possible to make sure that I can take care of his well-being.

Being a mom at any age is not easy, and even if you are married or have a partner there it is still hard; but being some single young, working, mother in school is one of the most overwhelming things that you can possibly do I feel.

This is coming for the girl who has always done everything and more in school and college.

You always feel like you are never doing enough, you want to be there for everything and you feel like you are missing out on so much either with your child, with work, with schoolwork or even sometimes with your family or friends. Life can sometimes feel as though it is eating you alive and you just do not know how to handle it or even how to breathe.

You will more than likely have weekly stress-outs, when you finally have a stress-free day you will wonder if the world is going to end because, how is that even possible? Time management is honestly the best answer. Life will always be full of trying to balance the struggles and whatever it throws at you, the one thing to remember is that your babies will only be little once and you will only be in school so much longer, and then you will have the schedule that will match their school schedule and everything will be okay.

You can honestly just go to your happy place and everything will be okay.

I take around 5-10 minutes a day by myself to just breathe and get away from all the nonsense that is going on in my life because it is hard to go through life without having some sort of break.

Normally this is during my break that I get at work but, I still use it and I sit there and remember how thankful I am to be here. How thankful I am to have my beautiful baby boy, and despite the circumstances, he is well loved, well taken care of and has everything he needs and more.

I know I work hard for him.

At the end of the day, you just have to give yourself a pat on the back for your hard work even if it's only a small task because being an adult is hard work.