Yes, I'm Single By Choice — No, I'm Not Crazy
relationships

Carrie Bradshaw was right when she said our girlfriends are our soulmates and men are just people to have fun with.

113

Being single in my friend group is a lot less taboo than it was a year or two ago. Almost all of my friends were in relationships, including me. All of us pretty much only hung out with our significant others and we started to put our friendships with each other on the sidelines.

Over the past year or so between graduating high school, moving to college and finally spending a month and a half at home for Christmas break pretty much everyone I know who was in a relationship, isn't anymore.

When I hang out with my friends, a lot of them, including me, write off relationships and say something to the effect of, "If I wanted to be in a relationship, I would be. But, I don't want to be so I'm not."

But, when I go onto social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram, everyone is talking about relationships as if they are the only thing the world has to offer. People are so obsessed with dating and relationships. I know people who I graduated high school with that are already married.

It feels insane to me because I wanted to move to college and focus on myself. I've known for a while now that I didn't want to date anyone when I did finally leave home. Since getting to school, I haven't met anyone with the same goals as I do, so I still have no plans or wishes to date.

That isn't wrong, that's just what I'm deciding to do right now.

My mom was my age when she started dating my dad. However, they've never pushed getting into relationships as a priority to me. They'd rather me be happy and be in a career-and-life-path that is good for me.

I don't know anyone that I feel can support me the way a significant other should while I grow and change. I'm not going to force something just because I'm scared to be alone or because society thinks that romantic relationships are the holy grail of existence.

My friends are the people who support me in the ways I need right now.

They want me to be a better person and push me to do the right things and live life how I want to. Platonic relationships are just as, if not more important than, romantic ones.

No boy has ever supported me and pushed me to be better in the way my girlfriends do. At the end of the day, I have to spend the most time with myself. I don't want to be unhappy or trying to force myself into a mold that society has created for young people.

Romance isn't dead, it's just put on hold for a little bit. Maybe I'll get there one day.

Until then, I'm perfectly happy doing my own thing, and that's OK.