How Being Single Can Be Your Blessing This Valentine's Day

God should be your first love.

308

From the zillions of proposal videos that clutter YouTube, "Wildflower / A Proposal" must be the most beautiful and romantic. While I have not actually watched every proposal video ever recorded, I am willing to bet that no others compare.

"Wildflower / A Proposal" tells a sweet and inspiring love story about a man and a young girl named Bonnie Kate. The couple faces tremendous hardships, before, during and after they start their relationship. The beautiful part of their story comes alive when we see how Max fights for Bonnie Kate, despite the inconvenience and difficulties their love might bring.

Obviously, they end up getting married, and he sets up the most romantic proposal any girl might hope to one day receive. Amongst the narrator’s many poetic lines and story telling tactics, one narrative in particular stood out to me.

“There are girls out there still worth fighting for, and there are guys out there still willing to fight.”

Max says this in a voice-over while amorous shots of he and Bonnie Kate play out across the screen. It is a line of hope and truth for people who might be without a romantic valentine this February 14.

A long time ago, thinking about my lack of a love life used to hurt my heart. I used to bubble up with anger when thinking about my past romantic experiences. I grew weary in resentment, exhausted with frustration and then altogether became steeped in sadness. Today, however, on February 14, 2016, I cannot help but feel immensely grateful.

“Blessed be the God… of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

The Lord comforts us in our afflictions with the expectation that we spread His comfort to others. With afflictions come lessons, and with lessons come opportunities to share. Oftentimes, we might view being single as an affliction instead of a gift, but living single does not mean one is deemed less worthy of love than the happily engaged couples of YouTube. Any lack of current earthly romance does not lessen the level of fierce love that Christ has for us. In fact, now that I find myself without a relationship I understand and feel the Lord’s love far more than ever before.

A classic Sunday message: God loves you. While I never questioned this obvious truth, I hardly ever challenged it. I rarely took the time to really understand what it meant to be loved by Jesus. Hearing the same message every day for 19 years never lessened its reality, only its preciousness; I allowed myself to label God as a routine instead of an intentional commitment.

I took the Lord’s love for granted. I expected it, but not in a humbling and grateful way, in a selfish and entitled one.

The moment I learned what it truly meant to feel God’s overwhelming love was the moment I realized it alone still remained amidst my loneliness. While earthly distractions create emptiness, God’s Word promises to fulfill.

“This God -- His way is perfect; the Word of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him.” Psalm 18:30

As a young Christian girl, my main concern for myself is that I will fail to fully utilize my single years. I do not want to waste these days slumping through singlehood with no intention. I want my perspective to focus away from my envious heart of other’s relationships and refocus myself towards God’s jealousy for my attention.

Jesus’ love is powerful, a power that I only recently began taking seriously. I want to focus all that I can into knowing and learning from Jesus before I start focusing on getting to know a potential boyfriend.

Yes, it has been awhile since I woke up to a phone exploding with sweet “good morning” texts. But instead of allowing this to discourage me, I start my day off by reading through a book full of love letters that God left just for me.

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him.” 2 Corinthians 2:9

Whether the Lord reserves a Disney prince lookalike to one day sweep us off our feet, or He holds a life full of Christ-designed sufferings for us to test our faith, we know our lives rest in the hands of God. The same hands who sculpted the Eastern Alps holds our perfect future. The fingers who paint the sunsets each evening point us towards a life enriched in His blessings.

To any young ladies who find themselves discouraged by their singlehood: let these years instead excite us for the future and instill a divine readiness and alertness in our hearts. God is blessing us with extra time to focus on our relationship with Him before we find ourselves in a relationship with a God-fearing man.

1 Corinthians 7:17 tells us, “Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him.”

Right now, God has called me to live a life devoted strictly to Him, and not to share my heart with anyone else. While God never promises marriage, He does promise faithfulness. I will remain steadfast in the Lord’s promises to strengthen me in my moments of weakness, and His faithfulness to fulfill me as I strive to obey His Word.

I encourage everyone to watch Max and Bonnie Kate’s proposal video! It is a true testament to God’s faith both in Christ-centered relationships and individual lives.