10 Thoughts If You Are Single And OK With It

Being the OG third wheel of the friend group isn't that bad

22
Huffington Post

If you are the OG third wheel of your friend group, you will know these 11 statements are facts.

1. I am the designated third wheel.

I am always shamelessly tagging along on my friend's dates. My friends boyfriends almost automatically assume it's going to be a table for three.

2. Just because I am single doesn't mean I am sad, or want you to be sad for me.

Sure, it can get lonely at times, but there is nothing 'sad' about being single. It is a time to be independent and really focus on yourself. So, stop feeling bad for me. I want to be perfectly happy on my own before seeking happiness with someone else.

3. But when my couple friends get all lovey, I get annoyed.

Unnecessary.

4. I like my freedom.

I personally love not having to respond to someone. When I am on the grind, especially during the school semester's, I value the ability to focus on my work and not have to push off assignments to the next morning just to Netflix and chill with bae.

5. I get offended when I'm not invited to the group date hang outs.

There may be 4 pairs of in-love people, but don't assume I won't want to go, because I will be by myself. As mentioned in #2 - I am (or at least I'm learning how to be) happy on my own.

6. I do get sad when I get blown off for bf/gf time.

I don't take it personally, because it's cool to want to hang out with your boo thang. But, I just get a little sad because I want you to remember friend time, too.

7. I don't want to be set-up on blind dates with your boyfriend's crusty cousin.

Although that date would make a great story for parties.

8. Finding a decent guy in college is near impossible.

At least for me, a guy who is ready to be in a committed relationship in college is hard to come by. Frat boys are a hard pass. I don't plan on meeting my future husband in the sticky basement of a party house over beer pong. Just no.

8. I'm finding myself right now. I don't want to find anyone else.

No, I'm not on tinder. No, I'm not following hot guys on Instagram in hopes of them sliding into my DM's and living happily ever after. I don't want you making me a christian mingle account, and I am not staring down every man at the bar in hope's of them choosing me as their lucky lady of the night. No. None of that!

I am more interested in finding what makes me really happy. I am working on my wellness as a whole -my spiritual, physical, mental, financial, social, occupational, and environmental wellness. A relationship is not on my list right now.

9. I am growing, and with growing comes pain.

Although I believe we truly never stop growing, the growth in your single years can be painful. I don't want someone sweeping me off my feet and rescuing me from the pain. That is not going to help me grow. It is only going to teach me to be dependent, and while that may work for some, it is not the direction I chose to travel.

Being able to pick myself up during hard times is a test of character and resilience, but that is what makes me stronger. I want to be strong before I choose to meet someone else's strength.

10. I know my time will come, and I am in no rush.

One day I plan on settling into a relationship. But, I am in no rush. I have accepted where I am, and I know it is somewhere I need to be on my own. I have great support from family and friends, and that is more than enough for where I am in life. I know God has a great man for me, and until then I will continue to pray for that man from a distance.