Dear Freshman Year At OU

Dear Freshman Year At OU

It's been a good first go around, here's to a few more.

15
Dear Freshman Year At OU
Kaylee O'Neal

Thank you for being one of the best years of my life. Going into freshmen year of college was pretty scary; I’m sure we can all agree on that. Moving away from home and soon calling somewhere else home is not easy. About a year ago I was so excited to get out of high school and move away from the same old people I saw every single day. I was excited for a change and to start my life, and I must say it’s been the best experience I could have ever imagined.

Move-in day was when it actually hit me. I thought to myself, I’m really going to be living on my own, not having to listen to Mom yell about cleaning my dishes, doing my own laundry for the first time in 18 years, and making dinner for myself. It was a bittersweet feeling. Now looking back on that day, time has flown by. It’s already over. I remember the first day of classes, trying to figure out where all of them were, and feeling lost. I walked into the lecture halls eager to meet people I could buddy up with and get close to. Now I can’t imagine my life without some of those people I buddied up with that first week of classes.

Two semesters later and I know this campus better than I know my hometown. Best dining hall? Just across the way from my dorm. Gym? Cross over to South Green and you’re almost there. Court Street? Walk up that hill, gasping for air and you run right into it. I can dream of exploring this little college town and I know it’ll be what my dreams are made of all summer. Although I feel like I know everything there is to know about college, I don’t. Nobody does until they experience all of it, and that’s why I am so excited for fall to come around again. To move in, catch up with friends, and talk about how our summer’s went; to fall in love with my campus all over again.

Despite all of the mental breakdowns about what to do with my life, calling my little sister every day because I miss seeing her face, talking to my puppy on FaceTime, making that weird voice that my roommate laughs at me for, and wishing I would’ve never taken Mom’s home cooked meals for granted, that’s what all makes college worth it. It makes you appreciate everything in your life, and it makes going home for the summer a little easier.

So, here’s to the next three years of continuously falling in love with the best college campus in the world. I’ve learned many lessons this first year on my own and I can’t wait for the lessons learned to come. Year one? Check. Now time to pack up my belongings for the summer, throw away all homework and tests, and say the hardest goodbye’s to the best people I have ever met. See you soon, sophomore year!