Simp(son)ly Alex

Simp(son)ly Alex

A Little Interview With A Lovely Friend

15
Simp(son)ly Alex
Tonya Simpson

These past few semesters, I have gotten to know Alex Simpson, fellow sophomore at Asbury University, and she has become one of my closest friends. We've had our fair share of silly moments, but we've also had many deep conversations in which we have learned to see life in a different light. Alex has an eye for beauty and a servant's heart. She is absolutely hilarious and is always looking to encourage others. I thought I would interview her for the benefit of anyone reading this, for her words consistently invite both laughter and inspiration. Enjoy!

Q. What's your favorite Disney Classic?

A. I love Pocahontas because she's adventurous and stands up for herself. She cares about her community and tries to bridge the gap between two different races.

Q. What is the weirdest food combo you've tried?

A. Definitely a cheese and pesto sandwich on Italian bread, with strawberries and pistachios.

Q. What was the most valuable lesson you learned from going on the Archways expedition?

A. I learned how important it is to have encouraging people around you and to love people even when it is frustrating. Also, I learned to encourage and push through even when things don't seem too optimistic.

Q. What is one thing you would say contributes to a meaningful life?

A. Self-reflection, self-awareness, and the understanding that the experiences you have don't just go away. You carry them with you, and you can grow and learn from them. Even if, let's say, relationships are strained, you can make sure they stay solid and dependable because you've learned and grown from past mistakes.

Q. What are the times/places you feel most connected to God?

A. When I'm feeling most exposed, like when I jump in the water and am just floating there, or when I'm outside on a cold day and feel the chill in the air. When I feel clean and pure-- disconnected from any clutter of the world. In those times I think, "This is me and I don't have to pretend to be anyone else."

Q. What's the first childhood memory that comes to mind?

A. I don't know why I just thought of this, but I remember playing twister at my grandmas house and having fun with all my cousins.