15 Simple, Achievable New Year’s Resolutions For Anyone To Take On

It's easy to make up a New Year's resolution, but not always easy to achieve it.

20

It's easy to make up a New Year's resolution, but not always easy to achieve it. To fix this, below is a list of resolutions that are easily obtainable, no matter the mindset one may have when going into the new year.

1. Go for more walks

Everyone says they're going to exercise more each new year, but after the first week in January, the gyms empty out. Instead of trying to push yourself to the extreme, try taking more walks — whether that be once a day or once a week. Fresh air and a little bit of exercise do wonders for the body.

2. Eat more fruits and vegetables

Like the whole exercise thing, the second most popular New Year's resolution is to "eat healthier." However, don't deprive yourself of the post-holiday treats. A balanced meal is all you need, so simply try to increase your fruit and veggie intake.

3. Drink more water

You don't have to chug a gallon of water a day, or walk around campus carrying a water jug as if you were a professional athlete. Instead, just increase how much you consume. An easy goal would be to try to drink at least one glass of water with every meal! Treat yourself to the sweeter juices and sodas afterward.

4. Call relatives once a week (at least)

We all know that calling Great Aunt Sue may mean having your ear chatted off for an hour, but think about how much it means to her. Even if the only thing your family members talk about is their broken dishwasher, it isn't the conversation that should matter to you — it's the person telling it.

5. Pick a bad habit...and stop it

Whether you bite your nails, spend too much time watching television, or take part in boredom eating, choose your nastiest habit and throw it out the door! This may be the most difficult New Year's resolution to achieve, but it will be well worth your while. By logging every time you partake in your bad habit, and telling a friend to monitor you as well, you can easily kick it out in three weeks or less.

6. Volunteer once or twice

… \or as much as you can! Giving back to your community is not only an angel's deed, but it can truly turn around someone else's year. Plus, it's a great resumé booster!

7. Be kinder to strangers

This may seem meaningless, but you never know what kind of day the people around you are having. Hold the door open for the person behind you, let a car go in front of you on the highway, or compliment your cashier's outfit, and you could turn their entire day around.

8. Tell your loved ones that you love them

Just as important as it is to call grandma every once in a while, it's super important to tell your friends and family how much they mean to you. I'm not saying to end every sentence with "I love you," but reminding them that you care about them could never do any harm.

9. Explore somewhere new

Take a drive to a mountain, the beach, or even a newly opened restaurant right down the street. The world is large, so start exploring it.

10.  Get out of your comfort zone

Whether this means joining a club you've been wanting to join, trying a new type of food, or going to a party you may never have gone to before — live your life to the fullest! Get out there and do big things (even if it is only for one night).

11.  Use less plastic

For the sake of Mother Earth, please just do this anyway. Invest in a metal straw (found in multi-packs on Amazon for only a few dollars), switch over to a reusable water bottle, and bring reusable bags to the grocery store. Every little action makes a world of a difference.

12.  Recycle

Yes, this is different than the previous resolution. Again, for Mother Earth's sake, you should already be recycling. Any plastic that you happen to use, or any glass, metal, or paper should be recycled! If your dorm room doesn't supply you with a recycling bin, make your own!

13.  Journal more

Journaling is a healthy way to release emotions, let out stress, or to keep track of thoughts and memories. Looking back at it in a few years, you'll be able to see your growth and/or relive the good moments of the past.

14.  Partake in self-care

Wash your face, take a bubble bath, stretch, meditate...whatever this may entail, look out for yourself, and make sure you take care of you. It's necessary to be selfish sometimes and set aside some "me time" to get in check with yourself and make sure you're doing OK.

15.  Love yourself

Again...yes, this is different than partaking in self-care. Give yourself compliments. Take selfies. Look at your reflection and own it. Tell yourself you're good enough. You deserve every ounce of love, so give it to yourself.