It's Time To Have Our Voices Heard, Because Silence Is Violence

It is time to speak out. Use your voice.

60

During the largest civil rights movement in history, indifference is not an option. If you have not spoken out in any way, shape, or form, what are you waiting for?

If you would rather stay silent than educate yourself and advocate for BIPOC rights, that's your moral lapse. Silence is no better than a blatant "I don't care." And the ability to stay silent because your rights have never been determined by a supreme court ruling, that's a privilege. Being able to disengage from politics is a luxury because politics are not directly interwoven with your right to exist.

Politics and policy-making are the driving forces that make oppression so systematically ingrained. Racism is not an isolated incident, it is every system purposefully designed to disadvantage BIPOC. This would be impossible without the political support that backs racist policies and institutions. To think that human rights and politics are mutually exclusive is foolish because they are incontestably linked.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, we are all born into our special bubbles of privilege regarding race, gender, socioeconomic status, sexuality, and so many others. Refusing to recognize your own privilege, and doing absolutely nothing to learn about issues because they do not directly affect you is…thoughtless. It is cruel. Oppression is perpetuated by silence, change is not.

Just because you are not personally inflicted by an issue, does not mean it does not exist.

There is a world that exists outside of you, and it is your own moral obligation to educate yourself on it.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - MLK

If you are silent, you are complicit.

Choose your voice over silence.