11 Big, Big Clues You're From A Small, Small Town

Alexa, play "Small Town USA" by Justin Moore.

1335

Where you're from is a question that typically comes up within most conversations. When you come from a small town you usually get a confused look after you answer this question. Then you have to go on to elaborate which usually still doesn't help them understand where you're from. No one can truly understand how difficult answering this question is unless you've come from a small town... trust me, I would know.

Whether you're from a small town and can relate or from a big city and want to understand what it's like, here are 11 signs that you come from a small town.

1. When someone asks where you're from, you tell them the closest well known city in your area. 

"Where are you from?"

Blythewood, South Carolina.

"Where is that?"

Columbia... I'm from Columbia.

2. You cannot go somewhere without seeing someone you know. 

The grocery store, the gas station, driving in the car, anywhere and everywhere. You're even more likely to see someone when you're trying to run a quick errand. A task that should have taken 10 minutes ends up taking 30 because your sister's third-grade teacher wanted to see how you were doing.

3. You can't keep secrets.

Your business is never personal. Gossip spreads fast, especially in high school. If a secret gets out, by the end of the day the whole school will know. People know things about you that you didn't even know about yourself.

4. You consume Bojangles almost every meal of the day.

Considering your limited options, Bojangles is your best bet in Blythewood. There's just something about Bojangles that all small town folks like. The usual's don't even have to tell the employees their order, they just pay and sit down. If you're not ordering sweet tea or a cajun filet biscuit, you should probably reevaluate.

5. The closest mall or movie theater is at least a 20 minute drive from your house. 

This probably explains why your idea of fun is a little unusual to most. Actually going out to do something fun requires a tank of gas and could take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes just to get there.

6. Your town is missing stop signs because people keep stealing them for fun.

When there's nothing to do, people find things to do. Even if it is only 10 minutes of fun.

7. Your high school parties occurred around a bonfire, in the woods, or someone's garage. 

A party happened in a library parking lot once, so people aren't too particular with the venues. As long as it's free and can hold large amounts of people, get ready to party.

8. When your idea of fun is hanging out at Sonic (or McDonalds) parking lot with your friends.

"Sonic?" is the go-to question to text or ask your friends when you have nothing to do. Then you order a slushy and sit in the parking lot listening to music with the rest of the town.

9. When you're late because of a train... or someone riding their horse down the street.

Yes. People frequently ride their horses around town as a mean of transportation. Trains are also known to come at some of the most inconvenient times of the day, making you late to school or work.

10. You suggest walking around Walmart as something fun to do. 

What's more fun than walking around and seeing all that Walmart has to offer? Watching the unusual people and walking through the aisles is a lot more fun than sitting at home.

11. You've been mudding. 

Mudding is a go-to pass time in small towns. It involves getting all of your friends in a couple of trucks or jeeps to see who can get their car the dirtiest. If your car is clean, then you're not having fun. Occasionally you get stuck; if that happens you better hope you have a car big enough to pull you out of the ditch.

While living in a small town isn't always the most convenient, it has allowed me to make so many memories and given me the ability to make situations fun when there is nothing to do. I have also made lifelong friends that I can count on and hang out with when I come back from college. A small community cannot be replicated and is a lifestyle not everyone gets to experience.

It has helped make me who I am and reminds me that friends and family are some of the most important things in life.