Signs You’re Experiencing Hearing Loss

Signs You’re Experiencing Hearing Loss

Introduction

7
Signs You’re Experiencing Hearing Loss

Hearing loss is a process that occurs gradually as you age, and it can be mild, moderate, or severe. However, many people wait several years before consulting a hearing specialist after noticing a decline in their hearing. Hearing loss is a common issue but can be managed if addressed in its early stages.

As time has gone by, your hearing loss can grow increasingly worse. Audiologists can determine whether your hearing can be restored by medical procedures and correctional hearing aids or if the type of hearing loss is irreversible. It's best to seek help right away if you think you are experiencing any level of hearing loss. Ignoring the warning signs could lead to further damage and problems down the line.

Hearing people speak becomes hard

Background noises in public places typically have low-pitched sounds, while certain consonants like 'f' and 's' are higher pitched. This can make it difficult to hear voices over other noises if you struggle to hear high-pitched sounds. As we age, our brains may have difficulty differentiating between relevant and irrelevant sounds, making it harder to filter out background noise. This can be quite inconvenient and even make it difficult to focus.

A hearing test is often suggested to determine the extent of your hearing loss and plan your treatment. If it turns out you’re experiencing hearing loss, you will be prescribed hearing aids. However, you will also need to consider purchasing quality hearing aid accessories as they’re important for the upkeep of your hearing device. For example, Phonak hearing aid domes are one of the best accessories designed to help you deal with earwax easier. However, you can also consider purchasing hearing aid dryers to dry your device faster after cleaning.

Your ears feel clogged

If your hearing has been affected due to a buildup of wax or moisture in your ears, it might be a good idea to visit a specialist. They can help clean out your ear canals and check if your hearing returns to its normal range after the procedure is complete. If you experience improved hearing after the wax has been removed from your ears, it is unlikely that you have an underlying hearing difficulty. However, if you are still having trouble with your hearing, it's wise to seek professional help as soon as possible.

Age-related hearing loss may cause certain sounds to seem dull or blocked. Fortunately, your audiologist can provide treatment options that you can choose from, according to what is most comfortable for you. If your hearing difficulty is due to natural aging, there's no need for alarm; it is typically nothing serious.

Your instinct is to read lips to understand people better

When hearing is impaired, the brain has a way of making up for it by using other senses such as vision. For instance, you can imagine how someone's lips look when they say "f" or "p" even if you cannot hear them. If you're having difficulty hearing, you may find yourself trying to read the speaker's lips. This tactic can help improve your comprehension of what is being said.

One of the initial signs of hearing loss can be observed when you communicate with someone. If you have difficulty hearing them and constantly look at their mouth, then it may indicate that you are in the early stages of deafness. Pay attention to this as it is a clear indication that further action should be taken. Always remember that you can seek help if your hearing has decreased. Once you are treated for your specific condition you can get back to having clear conversations with others.

Atmospheric sounds have disappeared

If you’re experiencing difficulty hearing nature's sounds, conversations, and the hum of appliances it could be a sign of hearing loss. If you haven't been able to hear atmospheric sounds and noises for some time, it may be wise to book an appointment with your doctor for a check-up.

If you experience high-frequency hearing loss, you may be missing certain sounds and voices. An audiologist may recommend a hearing aid to help restore your hearing. Rest assured there is no need to worry, with modern hearing aids available in many shapes and sizes that are almost unnoticeable.

Final thoughts

It's best to get your hearing tested as soon as you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above. By scheduling an appointment with a specialist, you'll be able to confirm if what you're experiencing is a hearing problem and take steps toward resolving it quickly. If your doctor tells you that your hearing loss is permanent, investing in a good hearing aid is a great way to ensure that you can still experience the beauty of life’s sounds like you used to.