19 Signs You Grew Up Lutheran

19 Signs You Grew Up Lutheran

Confirmation 2013, what a time.

3076
signs you grew up lutheran
Emma Stinnette

Switching from the blue to the maroon hymnal was a BIG deal and we love our beer. What else do you really need to know about growing up Lutheran?

1. You remember switching from the blue to the maroon hymnal. 

And it was a biiiiigggggg deal. I know that those older Lutherans even remember the red hymnal.

2. You have a family member that  has probably been drinking beer for your entire life. 

We're German, we're Lutheran. We love our beer. My dad even brews it.

3. You had to go through all of the stages of Confirmation. 

Ah yes, whether it was memorizing the Small Catechism or trying to explain to your friends that you're not Catholic, confirmation is something that every good Lutheran remembers. And have you ever tried explaining the concept to a non-Lutheran? "It's like baptism... but it's not"

4. The Chilli Cook-off. 

I don't know if this is solely a Lutheran thing, but in every church I've been to, there's a chili cook-off.

5. You have memorized all of the liturgy. 

So much to the point that other denominations believe that you are a cult.

6. You're obsessed with Martin Luther.

And you probably know all 95 Theses.

7. And also with you. 

If you know, you know.

8. Old hymns are the best thing since sliced bread.

We're Lutheran, we love our hymns. And we love the old woman who belts out all of them out of key even MORE.

9. No singing of "Hallelujah" until Easter. 

You ever been through lent? What a depressing time.

10. If there's a meeting, there's a potluck. 

11. You're used to sitting down and singing. 

"Stand up, stand up for Jesus"... We're singing... while sitting down.

12. You get a workout in during the service. 

Up, down, up, down, up, down.

13. The triangle is a secret symbol.

"Why is everyone standing except for me? Oh, the triangle... the triangle.."

14. You get to drink at communion.

"That ain't no grape juice, girl" - my mom.

15. "HE IS RISEN INDEED HALLELUJAH!" 

Easter Sunday is truly a beautiful thing and somehow everybody already knows what to say.

16. You know what the LWML is.

Gotta love those LWML ladies.

17. You can identify the church season the characters are in when you're watching movies. 

18. Hymnal ribbons are toys. 

They're fun for braiding.

19. The big white dress. 

Technically it's called an Alb, but If you know, you also know. And no, it's not a wedding.