Depression Is Definitely Not "All In Your Head"

Depression is real, and it honestly sucks.

322
123rf.com

“People think depression is sadness, crying or dressing in black. But people are wrong. Depression is the constant feeling of being numb”. -Unknown

Depression can hit at the most random times in our lives. Depression can happen to the happiest person you know. Depression can cause a person and their loved one a lot of pain.

Depression is REAL and it can happen to ANYONE so the next time you think “You are crazy, depression is all in your head.” THINK AGAIN.

Depression causes you to doubt yourself. It causes you to hate yourself. It causes you to hate your life. It causes you to separate yourself from the ones you love the most. Your mind is constantly swimming with thoughts of sadness and anger. It's not normal. I used to think being numb to the world was normal, but it is NOT normal.

Opening up about depression is hard for someone to do alone because let’s face it, a lot of people don’t understand what we are talking about but there are people who understand and who will not judge you for asking for help.

Let’s face the facts. How many times a day, a week, or a month does someone ask you how you’re doing and you lie? A person with depression isn’t going to answer with “Honestly I just want to die, and I feel like the world hates me.” No one understands what a person goes through alone for the most part.

A lot of people have the world closed off when it comes to their problems and that is when depression hits the hardest. Feeling alone at all times. Feeling like no one loves you. Feeling like everyone is out to hurt you. Feeling like NOTHING you say or do is right. Feeling like every conversation you have with someone is just going to be an argument so you just close everyone out.

So the next time you ask one of your loved ones if they’re okay and they say yes, make sure. Ask them about life and their thoughts on how things are going. Ask them how life at home or work is. Ask them if they need help.

A lot of people will not open up to you just to open up to you. Sometimes you have to push them to do so. Sometimes it takes a life-changing experience for anyone to open up about anything, but depression is and always be the biggest problem in some lives of loved ones to open up about.

Sometimes all it takes it a phone call or a personal conversation to understand one's problem with depression and you can be the change in their life that they needed.

If you suffer from depression, understand that you are not alone. There are people out there who are more than willing to help you if you open up and explain your problem with depression.

IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW ARE STRUGGLING WITH SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND/OR TENDENCIES, REACH OUT IMMEDIATELY. NO ONE SHOULD GO THROUGH THIS ALONE. SUICIDE IS SERIOUS.

National Suicide Hotline: 1 (800) 273-8255 - available 24/7