The Significance Of Being Alone

The Significance Of Being Alone

Sometimes you just need alone-time.

39
The Significance Of Being Alone

During my first semester of college I learned one thing very fast: I almost never had time alone. I went from classes, to work, to campus activities, and found myself surrounded by people all the time. I became consumed with company. This is by no means a bad thing, but I rarely ever found myself alone. That’s when it hit me. We take our alone-time for granted. Sure, it’s always nice to be surrounded by your friends, family, coworkers, etc., but it’s also nice to have your own personal time. There are many reasons for this.

First off, we all have our days where we just want to be alone. Half the time I probably couldn’t give you a logical explanation as to why I want to be alone, I just know that’s what I want. During this time I’ll usually spend it watching movies or just lying in my bed scrolling on the social networks. I might even grab a container of ice cream and start a new series on Netflix for the rest of the day. Why did I have to be alone to do this? I don’t know, I just did. It makes no sense at all but that’s just the way it is. Half of the time life doesn’t make sense and this is just one of those times.

Next, we all know when we have stuff we really need to get done like laundry, cleaning, homework, etc., and it is nearly impossible to do when you have company. At first things might work fine. Then eventually you find that yearbook from middle school, so you and your friends start to relive old memories, and before you know it an hour or two has passed. Then one day you might finally attempt to do the homework you put aside all week when your friend suggests a study break that leads to an hour and a half trip to Orange Leaf and Walmart. It’s not like you planned for this to happen; it just always ends up that way.

However, when you are alone you are more focused. You tell yourself once this is done you can go hang out with everybody else or go out with friends to see that movie you’ve been wanting to see. This is a way of giving yourself a reward if you complete the important things first. This particular reason is why your alone time is very important. It’s just a lot harder to get important things done when your attention can easily go to someone else in the room rather than the task at hand.

Finally, we all know too well how those late night car rides alone are the best to just think about life. Sometimes you just want to get in the car, drive for miles, and think about everything from your love life, to family issues, to class struggles, and whatever else is on your mind. Other times you just lie down in bed, put that relaxing Pandora station on, and let your mind wander. This alone time is when you really get into your feelings. You might even shed a tear or two but that’s alright because everybody experiences this. Truthfully everybody needs this time to just let go and let out all the emotions that they’ve kept inside. Times like this you just don’t want to be bothered by anyone. A lot of people take this alone time for granted, but I have come to cherish it.