Tips on how to become a real estate agent in London by Sidd Mahajan
News

There are thousands of real estate agents engaged in buying and selling homes and commercial properties for their clients. However, some estate agents stand apart from the others by being great at their jobs, closing every deal with perfection, and really benefiting their clients.

20

According to Sidd Mahajan, London-based real estate entrepreneur who found success fairly quick in the industry, "The best real estate agents are rarely shy or afraid to voice their opinions. They like to promote a property by focusing on its best aspects. They are not aggressive, but are passionate about what they do and work hard to put their clients' interests ahead of their own."

Develop your communication and interpersonal skills.

It's important to be able to communicate clearly with clients, so an estate agent is a job for someone who enjoys working face-to-face with a variety of personalities. Be sure to listen carefully to what your clients tell you they are looking for. Aim to be available during regular business hours and respond to client calls and emails in a timely manner.

Use nonverbal clues, like nodding and smiling, to show your clients that you're listening to their needs when discussing what they're looking for.

Learn to negotiate.

You'll need to negotiate with sellers, buyers, and other agents to get your clients the best possible deal. Determine a maximum or minimum price with your client before negotiating so you can stick to their bottom line. Don't let others rush you and know that it's okay to walk away if a fair deal cannot be brokered.

Try not to take negotiations personally; it is business, after all.

Build your Local Knowledge

You can never become a successful estate agent if you do not know your local area. It also helps to acquire a good working knowledge of other relevant communities and neighborhoods before you deal with clients.

Local knowledge gives you an edge in terms of understanding the rules and regulations in different areas and communities, as well as knowing the likely value of a property. You should also research other locations that present good real estate opportunities for your clients.

It is important to develop a clear understanding of neighborhoods and home values in all relevant areas over time. If you are new to a town, take some time to become familiar with the place before you become a real estate agent as it takes time to develop good local knowledge, but it will help you build a successful career.

Being Tech Savvy

Sidd Mahajan London says,"This is something relatively new for real estate: you need to know your way around a computer and the Internet. Being able to navigate websites isn't just nice to know - it's a must. Even if you don't know much about the Internet or how to use a computer, you must be willing to learn. Otherwise, you'll be eclipsed by tech savvy competition."

Networking is Key

You hear this word all the time, but often it's misunderstood as a method of getting something from the people around you. Networking is a way of contributing to those around and building a community of like-minded individuals who will give back to you in times of need. Network with your fellow real estate agents. Help those coming up in the industry around you and seek out people with more experience from whom you can learn.

Sidd Mahajan, London, attributes his success to his ability to solve problems and his eye for details. He believes that while a warm heart will help you with networking, you'll also need a sharp eye. As a real estate agent, you'll spend a huge amount of time on the details.

Also remember, every client comes to you with a problem: they need help buying a house, or selling a house. Your job is to solve that problem.

While the problem may be the same, there are different variations that you'll need to tackle, such as the client's budget or their "must sell by" timeline. You'll need to feel comfortable with constantly solving problems - sometimes in ways that aren't the most obvious or conventional.