siblings leaving home

To My Siblings As We Choose Our Separate Paths, Remember Family Is Forever

The days of bunk bed stories and playing hours of "Candy Land" have come to an end, but our friendships never will.

122
big family photo sisters brothers mother siblings
Mikaela Cok

I always knew this day would come, but I never realized how fast it would. It kind of just hit me that year by year and day by day, we grew closer to being further apart, and now that I sit here thinking of the lives we are starting now compared to the life we lived in the past, I am forever grateful for the bond we created as siblings.

It makes my heart so full to see all of your growing up and deciding on future plans and making your dreams come true. I truly think my inspiration is all of you because you are the most important people in the world to me. You are my closest and truest friends that I have and ever will have.

There are so many moments when I just want to rewind time and go back to playing pretend Harry Potter, or jumping on the trampoline while dad sprayed us with water on a hot summer day. Its the littlest things I remember that make the memories so fun.

As much as I hated sharing a room then, or sharing clothes, those days I would re-live all over again now.

We have had a pretty decent amount of arguments, name-calling, and disagreements, but we all laugh about it now, so in a way, I'd never thought I would be thankful for those days because we are having better days now. It's true we still have disagreements, and will probably have many more, but if we can make it through 15-20 years of arguments, we can make it through that many more and still come out just as close as ever.

I wish there was a way more than words to tell all of you what you mean to me because it seems "I love you" is just too little. It is so comforting knowing that I always have people to talk to and to trust... There have been days when I thought I haven't had any friends, but then I remember I have all of you, and I do not need anything more.

As the years continue to pass I just want you all to remember that nothing will change between us. Our bonds will forever stay the same, and I look forward to any days we get to spend together, and argue, but also laugh about each other.

I used to think I would never find friends or someone who I could share everything with and be myself completely with, but it took me far too long to realize that I never had to look because all of life it has been my siblings who will always be there, and I never have to worry about that again.

I hope if you're ever worried, sad, or mad, that I will always be here just as before, and if it takes having a sleepover with Flintstones push pops and "Scooby-Doo" marathon than so be it, because you are my forever people, my best friends, and I love you more than words can say.