Why My Siblings are the Best Gifts My Parents Could Have Given Me

28

Growing up I was an only child until I was eight, when my first little sister entered the world. Another sister and two brothers followed, and my life was forever changed for the better. Having such large age gaps between me and my siblings, spanning from 8 years to 18 years difference, may seem a little strange but I think it's something that makes me appreciate them that much more.

Having four little siblings motivates me. It motivates me to do the best that I can in school, sports, and life because I know I have four beautiful little faces watching what I do and looking up to how I do things. I want each of them to strive to be the best person they can be, because as I've watched them grow I can see the limitless potential that they each possess. I want them to understand the value of working hard and being proud of their hard work, and to never be ashamed of being enthusiastic. I hope they always remember that it is cool to care. Most importantly, I want them to find happiness within themselves and carry it throughout life. Knowing that my littles notice what I do really forces me to try to have a positive outlook and to stay smiling when I am around them.

My much younger siblings allow me to live my childhood a little bit longer. My sisters go to the same small elementary school that I went to, and it's fun to hear about their experiences with the same teachers and school building that I remember so well. I enjoy reminiscing on my days at Edmunds Consolidated with them, and I especially love being able to say things like "back in my day…" All of my siblings constantly want to me play with them, whether it be running around outside, playing basketball, or doing makeovers. I love playing with them and seeing their sweet smiles and hearing their giggles and laughs, and remembering things I had forgotten about when I was a kid.

Having four siblings means I have four unconditionally loving friends for life. They are each so unique and have their own personalities and energies, and never fail to make me laugh. The amount of love I have for each of them is astonishing to me, and I feel like the luckiest young woman alive when I hear myself called "Sis". I love when they confide in me and reveal their thoughts to me, and I hope they will always remember they have someone who will never judge them to talk to. As we grow older we will continue making memories and our relationship will develop and mature, and my fondness and my love for them only grows.

When I first heard the news that my title of an Only Child was being replaced with that of a Big Sister, I was a little unsure. I was nervous and a little jealous, and wondered how things were going to be from then on out. The same feelings arouse every time I heard the news of a new little member of my family, and every time went away the moment I held them. My siblings are the best gifts my parents could have ever given me because from the moment I first saw their little faces my heart has been filled with love. I feel blessed to be their sister, and my love for them sometimes chokes me up. I am beyond proud of how compassionate, intelligent, and thoughtful they each are. Cameron, Braelyn, Jack and Max, thank you for being the little souls that you are. I'm so excited and happy to be a part of your journey, and I will always be here if you need anything.