Sometimes older siblings become the parents

Sometimes the most influential parental roles don't get called mom or dad

We celebrate Mother's and Father's day but what about Older Siblings day?

196
Natalia Carbuccia

If you are an older sibling like myself, you have probably changed a diaper or two. You have probably helped with homework and have probably found yourself making cupcakes for an elementary school bake sale. I guarantee you have kissed enough scraped knees and spent a fair amount of time "babysitting." You, at some point have had all of the same, if not more responsibilities as the biological creators of your younger sibling(s) but there are no "happy older siblings day" cards. There is no breakfast in bed, no day of celebration for the sisters that play mom and the brothers that play dad.

Sometimes, us older siblings completely envelop the role of a parent but there is no title for that right? There is no title for the mentors, the second parental figures we are to our younger siblings. We are simply stuck with the mere label of brother or sister, when in reality if you are the eldest, you are so much more than that.

We get the privilege of being the role models we ourselves wish we had. We get to (or are sometimes forced to) nurture and guide our younger siblings like we wish someone had for us. I know I myself have tried to become the perfect version of a mother, a version that might not exist but I hope to embody for my two younger brothers and sister. To be the oldest often means to take over parental duties but it also means we are blessed to have little eyes watching us, watching us make mistakes that they can learn from and laying out a well-paved path for them to follow.

With both mothers and fathers day just passing, I am sure your social media timeline was flooded with appreciation posts and there is no denying that it should be. It can seem like all of the credit goes to the parents and we as older siblings are not saying it is undeserved, just that we'd like to bask in the gratitude as well. Nobody can fully replace the presence of a parent and we will probably never be called mom or dad but the lack of title does not depreciate our impact.

The definition of a parent is a father or a mother but the duties of a parent are so much more than biology can perform. Genetics make you a parent but it is unconditional love and support that make you a caregiver, a role that can be filled by anyone, even an older brother or sister.

And so, on days where we honor those that love us, I beg of you not to forget about those who fill the role willingly and with no questions asked. Do not forgot those older siblings, or any parental figure for that matter that shows the courage it takes to be a role model. To the oldest brothers and sisters, to the oldest cousins, or even the aunts and uncles who have stepped forward to play an active role in a young person's life, thank them for the volunteering themselves along with their unwavering affection and guidance.