'Grey's Anatomy' And 4 Other TV Shows That Should've Ended Sooner
Television Streaming

'Grey's Anatomy' And 4 Other TV Shows That Should've Been Taken Off Life Support Sooner

Tiresome plots, overused content, and just plain annoyance overcome those last few seasons of sensational television series that should have called it quits seasons ago.

152

All great things must come to an end — a concept many television producers seem to overlook.

Jerry Seinfeld, star of the 90s hit comedy series "Seinfeld," made history with his decision to end the show after its ninth season. While many fans expressed their regret over the comedy legend's refusal to accept NBC's offer of $110 million dollars for a tenth season, Jerry knew it was time to go. During an interview with Oprah Winfrey, Jerry voiced his reason behind the executive decision while drawing on his experiences as a stand-up comedian, "There's that moment when you're on stage when you just feel that this is the moment and you just get off stage [because] another five minutes can bring the audience to a completely different place" (YouTube).

Considering "Seinfeld" went out as the number one television show on cable network, it seems as though Jerry knew what he was doing.

In his company lies many more television shows ranking number 1 that knew when to quit while ahead. Hit series like "Friends," "Will & Grace," "The Office," and "I Love Lucy" are all beloved and cherished American Classics. With no season better than the last and still being praised on their comedic gold, these are shows that will endlessly make us laugh.

Unfortunately, today there are a number of series that ignore the obvious downfall in content in exchange for unimaginable pay.

Here are five TV shows that should have quit a long time ago.

1. "Grey's Anatomy"

"Grey's Anatomy" has had an incredible run and is currently on its 15th season continually coming up with new and entertaining surgical plots. However, the subplots revolving around the main characters are not only becoming impractical but they've become plain ridiculous. It also does not help that characters we, the audience, have grown to love over many seasons are constantly either killed off or just leave the hospital as they are replaced with new unknown actors to fill the cast. Spoiler alert: "Grey's Anatomy" should have ended when Derek Shepard (played by Patrick Dempsey) was killed off in a car accident.

2. "Modern Family"

Unlike other family-oriented television shows such as "Full House," "Family Matters," or "Family Ties," "Modern Family" really depicts a family in today's day and age. "Modern Family's" ability to reach so many different demographics in a new and definitely modern technique could very well have been the reason for its wide success.

However, approaching its 11th and tiresome final season which is expected to air this coming September, plots and comedic writing appear to be growing old. In particular, audiences watched Haley Dunphy, eldest daughter of Phil and Claire, grow from a rebellious teenager to a responsible young woman. Within the last two seasons, Haley has returned to her foolish old lifestyle by reuniting with her first season boyfriend, Dylan, and then proceeds to get pregnant. The writers' choice to bring back a familiar face and demote Haley's character development merely trashes the progress of the loveable and prominent character.

3. "The Big Bang Theory"

Its original content and unique characters set up success for this group of actors. As a previous fan of the show and an avid viewer since its third season, I fell for the quirky theme this series carries. However, somewhere along season eight jokes started to fall flat and episodes centering around inane plots became irritating. Now, finally wrapping up the show on its eleventh season, this show will not go down in history as one of the best as it should have ended long ago.

4. "How I Met Your Mother"

As a huge HIMYM fanatic and an active viewer since 2012 every Monday night on CBS, the show became visually unpleasant, to say the least. Somewhere along season seven, the cinematography of the series took a hit as the aging of the actors became more than obvious. Moreso, the last season was clearly a filler season. Seasons 1-8 of HIMYM took place over years, however, the entirety of season nine took place all in one weekend... a terrible idea.

5. "The Vampire Diaries"

"The Vampire Diaries," hit series on the WB, took a blunder when Nina Dobrev left the show after its sixth season before finally ending it after 13 episodes into season eight. Nine Dobrev played Elena Gilbert, essentially the main character in which several storylines revolve around including the show's endless love triangle between Elena and vampire brothers, Stefan and Damon. Once the main character left, the CW should have cut it off while it was on top.

* * *

In exchange for millions of dollars, producers and cast members are blinded by an obvious decline in content that eventually will serve as the show's reputation in years to come. Series like "Seinfeld" and "Friends" quit while the show was in its prime leaving audiences still obsessed with its comedy and storylines over 15 years after leaving the air.