It's Time To Show Your Support

It's Time To Show Your Support

17
It's Time To Show Your Support

When I was young, I remember coming to Michigan State and visiting the Breslin Center. At the time, it was so big and glamorous. I wanted to be one of the players on that court with everyone watching and cheering me on.

Well reality struck and I didn’t end up having that dream come, but that doesn’t mean others hadn’t accomplished what I wanted. I may not be wearing green and white on the field or court, but I have realized that being an athlete for a college team takes a lot of hard work and is an amazing opportunity. And furthermore, being an athlete for Michigan State is an even greater success.

So as I lived in the dorms this past summer, I had the chance to meet some of the girls on the team. They are all so nice and work so hard in representing Michigan State. I have seen these girls practice and play everyday, putting everything that they have out on the court just like the men do, but for some reason most the people that go to these games are not Michigan State students.

There is no doubt in the world that the women that play for the Michigan State Women’s Basketball team work so hard for their degrees and, on top of that, they play for an amazing school highly ranked for its academics and, most recently, athletics. So why don’t these women get the recognition and the support that Men’s Basketball receives?

Women’s games used to have a student section but, unfortunately, they no longer do. Even with tickets for women’s games being free to the student body, no one shows up. Granted, I didn’t know they were free until months ago, but still, we are a school of tens of thousands and we barely get 100 students to show up to their games.

We are all one student body and one Spartan Nation. So why is it that we can’t support the women’s team like we do the men’s, especially when it costs us nothing but time to do so. The games are a lot of fun because you are watching a nationally ranked team in a big arena with your fellow Spartans. You have concessions, dance cams and everything you see at a men's basketball game, plus you have the energy of the crowd.

The girls work diligently to be great athletes and deserve so much more support from the students than what they actually get. So next time you want to get out of your dorm, house or apartment, search a game, see who is playing and bring some friends. Let’s try to get a student section back and show our school spirit. At the end of the day, we are one. We might not always remember the professors we had or the exams we took, but we will remember the games we took the time to go to and the people we were there with.

Next game is at the Breslin Center against Iowa on Saturday, January 16th at 4: 30 p.m. ET. So come out after your first week back to Michigan State and support your team. I am sure they will appreciate it.