Shoutout to My Village

Shoutout to My Village

Because It's Mother's Day

72
Shoutout to My Village

Mother's Day is approaching which means the kids are making art projects in school, my uncles are trying and failing to plan a mother's day dinner for my granny, I am already forgetting to get my mom a card, and my dad is scrolling through amazon to find something that my mom will actually like to open on Sunday morning.

But, on a less snarky note, Mother's day means appreciating moms, and, for me, I would like to use this time of year to shoutout not just my own mom, but the village of moms that raised me.

(Side note to my mom, Eileen, Leenie, Queen Leen, Ma, Mother, Giver of Life: you're great, no one can replace you.)

Specifically, I'd like to thank:

1. The babysitters that drove me to kindergarten when my mom was working.

2. The neighbors that watched me before school when my mom had to work (working mom probs).

3. My dancing teacher that I met when I was 5 years old who taught me about passion and tradition despite being forced to hold practice in the small basement of her house.

4. My dancing teachers that I met when I was 12 years old (even the drunk ones) who I know will find a way to make fun of me for this article.

5. My cross country coach from Sophomore year who encouraged me to race and have fun even though I had no chance of ever winning any type of medal as a reward.

6. My friends' moms who aways made me feel welcome in their home whether they wanted me there that day or not (shoutout to Linda, Meg, Alice, Ann, etc.).

7. My favorite carpool moms that drove me up and down West Chester pike to and from the dancing studio for years (shoutout to Fidelma especially).

8. My godmother, Auntie Annie, who not only guides me in faith, but also introduced me to red wine, and taught me how to keep things positive even when life gets challenging.

9. The bunch of high school teachers that left their door open for me everyday after school and at lunch for when I needed to complain, make up a test, get extra help, or complain some more.

10. The lunch moms that braided my hair and gossiped with my friends and I during recess in grade school.

11. The moms that picked my friends and I up from the party at 2am because we didn't have money for an über.

12. The moms that didn't tell my mom about certain things that would give her a heart attack if she knew (LOL?).

13.......And the moms that made sure I always had someone to talk to who would not judge or worry, but simply give the best advice and support for the given situation.

My mom does all of the things I've listed, and she knows how much I treasure her, but that has been said before, and it is and will be said every year in the future. I feel all the more blessed to be able to thank and put a spotlight on the collective group of women who continue to impact my day-to-day life who DID NOT give birth to me. These special ladies had no specific obligation to take care of me, but they continue to provide an intrinsically motivated kindness that enriches my life to this day.

I understand I was definitely not a the easiest kid to raise, and for me, it really did take a village (and a therapist) to get me to be the cool and semi-normal person I am today. This Mother's Day I hope these awesome moms knows that they have raised not only their own kids, but they also raised me, and I could not be more grateful.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, MOM!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, NANA AND GRANNY!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO MY VILLAGE!