Why You Shouldn't Make Fun Of Someone With Acne

We didn't ask for our skin to be this way.

2268
Chibird

Acne, pimples, zits we all get them in some form. People with acne feel so low and all they fell is you staring at their imperfections. Almost all of our self-confidence is drained from us and what's left is ripped from us once we leave the comfort of our home. How do you think we feel when we look at our skin and just see disgust? It might look gross to you but it feels even worse to us. Constantly wanting to pick at our face all the time but being told that we shouldn't because that makes it worse.

You think we asked for our skin to be angry at us 27/7? We have tried just about everything for our skin and most of it has not worked. Some of us have ruined our skin with the harsh treatments we thought were going to make a difference. Medications and birth control all with a plethora of unwanted side effects like making our skin super sensitive to the sun or the risk of blood clots.

Changing our diets and lifestyles can only do so much. For some of us, that's not enough. Its deeper than just washing our face twice a day. Yes, we know that makeup will make it worse but makeup is the only armor we have against the real world. Stressing about our acne only makes it worse. Someday's we feel worthless and don't really want to face the world with the giant painful zit on our chin or the constellation of zits on our forehead. But we suck it up and face the harsh reality that is the public eye.

Even after the acne has subsided, we still have to battle with the scars that are left on our skin. These scars are a physical memory of the life-long battle we have endured. The scars can be almost worse than the actual acne it was once before. They're constant reminders of our horrible teenager years or picking our blemishes until they bled. Picking every single whitehead and squeezing the blackheads has only made our lives a living hell.

So please, stop making fun of us. We didn't ask for our skin to be this way. We don't need your finger pointing or staring in public when we are just trying to run errands. If you're talking about my acne behind my back or in a group chat, just stop. Do you think you're better than us? I'm sure there is something you hate about your body and it makes you uncomfortable.

Your comments are just dousing the flame that is our self-confidence. Even when we are having a good day and it seems like our skin is cooperating, you come out of nowhere with your hateful words and pick us apart until we're nothing. There is no need to make someone else feel worse about themselves just to make you feel better. This is one of our biggest insecurities so we would appreciate it if you would keep your comments to yourself. Thanks!