Should You Work An Off-Campus Job?

For many students, working at an off-campus job and being a full-time student is not even a consideration. For some, however, that extra money is a necessity. There are many different ways to properly handle the busy schedule, and when you find what works for you, you'll find that your life may even become a bit more organized.

The first step to controlling your schedule is figuring out your availability. School, as always, is the priority, but you need to take into account which days are busiest for you, and which days wouldn't be the best to add more onto. Maybe on Thursdays, you have five classes. In this case, it wouldn't make sense to work the Wednesday night before because then you most likely won't have time to do the homework you need to do for the next day. With that being said, if you're really good at time management, you can do your homework ahead of time. This is one of the perks of working at an off-campus job. Your organizational skills increase, and so does your bank account.

In order to take on this extra responsibility, you need to understand your own limits. Don't agree to work more shifts a week than you can handle, because that will result in so much more stress than you need, especially if you have a rigorous course load. Right now, at my current job, I am probably the second youngest server, and most servers are students as well. Whether they are at Villanova or somewhere else, they are working hard to do well both in school and outside of school. It's a good idea to keep in mind that there are probably many other workers who are going through the same thing as you and that they can probably help you along the way as well.

Another plus of working off-campus is the fact that you will make so many new friends. It's really nice having work friends separate from school friends. It provides a little getaway from school and gives you more people to connect with. I know that I have made so many friends at my new job, and I have only been working there since mid-January. Working a job can also increase your leadership and organizational skills. These will come back to your academics and reflect positively in all of the work that you do. Many jobs require teamwork, and that experience can help mold you into a more effective person.

On the other hand, maybe working is too much for you as a student. And that's okay! No one is forcing you to go out and get a job. As nice as it is to have your own money to spend, it's important to realize that college is supposed to be a fun time. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you won't ever get to go through again. Do what you want to do, because this is your time. If you want to work a job, then work a job. If you want to hang out with your friends all the time, then hang out with your friends any chance you get. Right now, it's all up to you. And maybe you'll overestimate how much you can take on. In that situation, just roll with the punches and take things day by day.

Personally, I enjoy working at an off-campus job. It gets me away from school and it has given me many friends. Don't feel the pressure right away, because you have so much time to figure your life out.