A Short Memoir to Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds

A few words of respect to our fallen heroes of film.

4
The Forward

Carrie Fisher was not just a face of the infamous "Star Wars" franchise, but was an icon for women in Hollywood as a strong, independent woman, advocating feminism and support for those suffering with mental illness.

Fisher had battled addiction in her early years, which is explained in her memoir, "Wishful Drinking". Her recently released memoir, "The Princess Diarist", flew off the shelves and went temporarily out of stock online shortly after her death, and has been praised as a witty and powerful piece, showing the very person that Fisher was seen to be: funny, honest, and inspirational.

Fisher's legacy was not only left behind by her memoir, but through her daughter, Billie Lourd. Fisher raised her daughter "without gender", and upon being asked about her childhood, Billie stated how FIsher emphasized that "it wasn't about being a strong woman--it was about being a strong person."

The Internet broke down at the news of Fisher's passing, with dozens of celebrities paying tribute to the fallen star. Other "Star Wars" legacies, including Mark Hamill, George Lucas, and Peter Mayhew, regarded Fisher as "bright", "colorful", and "irreplaceable."

Shortly after her passing came the death of her mother, Debbie Reynolds, who was another star that made a heavy impact on the movie industry.

Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds are a pair that will be forever remembered by friends, fans, and family as two of the most true and inviolable figures of Hollywood, and whose hearts live on in ours for eternity.